Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
ab1

Share |

add on boiler

I have a add on new yorker wood boiler that i have connected to a burnham oil boiler. The control on the oil boiler is a honeywell R8182 combination control. My question is how do i connect a switch to the control on the oil so that de honeywell controller is on but my oil burner is off.
Thank you
ab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

add on boiler

Ayuh,....

I'm building my own outdoor bio-mass boiler,+ I've got the same set up as you do, on my oil boiler,...
And, I'm going to plumb the boilers in series to use the existing plumbing, Aka, the oil boiler will be the distribution manifold..
While I'm still in the building process, I think I've come up with a way to make it work..

My oil boiler control, the same R8182, will start the burner, whenever the T-Stat calls for heat, as well as starting the circulator pump... That's the Problem..

I'm going to lower the start/ stop limits on the R8182 so they are lower than the temps provided by the Outdoor boiler, but will still come on if the outdoor boiler runs out of bio-mass...

Then I'm going to remove the T-Stat wires from the R8182,+ wire them up to a Type RA89A relay...
What the RA89A is, is a transformer to supply the 24V for the T-Stat,+ a relay to power the circulator pump at 120V, when the T-Stat calls for heat...
By using the RA89A, I can still use the low voltage wiring to my T-Stat, rather than going to a Line Voltage T-Stat to power the pump directly...

Hope this Helps,...
Btw,.. Just as a disclaimer,.. I'm not a HVAC guy,.. Just a Master Re-engineer designing,+ learning as I go.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote