Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
SDG

Share |

Acrylic shower walls, cement board needed?

I'm putting in a new bathroom in my basement. It will have a toilet, sink and shower stall.

I purchased the neo-angle Magnolia shower by Keystone (maax).
I got the acrylic walls with it.

Do i need to put up my stud wall (building it tonight) and then attach the walls directly to the studs or should I put either cement board or greenboard on them first and then the acrylic walls?

Also, for the base, can I just sit it on my concrete slab and then floor around it? I'm putting in a sub-floor so I can tile, should the base sit on the subfloor?

Thanks everyone, the advice I read on these forums helps a lot.

Shawn

SDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG View Post
I'm putting in a new bathroom in my basement. It will have a toilet, sink and shower stall.

I purchased the neo-angle Magnolia shower by Keystone (maax).
I got the acrylic walls with it.

Do i need to put up my stud wall (building it tonight) and then attach the walls directly to the studs or should I put either cement board or greenboard on them first and then the acrylic walls?

Also, for the base, can I just sit it on my concrete slab and then floor around it? I'm putting in a sub-floor so I can tile, should the base sit on the subfloor?

Thanks everyone, the advice I read on these forums helps a lot.

Shawn
Shawn,
Let me start by saying I don't know what exactly is required or suggested by Keystone/Maax.
I just finished remodeling a bathroom. We installed a Maax "Portland" shower stall. It was fiberglass (about 1/8" thick) not acrylic. The installation instructions(included with shower) were kind of weak in my view. They did indicate framing for installation in an alcove. I did have studs and insulation and vapor barrier beneath drywall. I did remove drywall and added some framing according to the "alcove install" to support the shower stall.

If the acrylic walls are quite thin as I suspect, then I think you definitely will need cement board or green board or drywall for support. I don't think cement board or green board would be absolutely necessary since it shouldn't be wet. But, if you feel the need and can afford the extra cost, it is a one time thing - then go for it. I would probably use drywall on 2x4 studs on 16" centers.

Hopefully others who have installed the "Magnolia" will give advice.

Good luck with your project.

orange

orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

I dont knowhow thick it is,,,the walls however I prefer to make what I call things"idiot proof",,,not so much for YOU and your family,,but thinking of it this way. If there was a slip in the shower and an accident of all accidents occurs,,,last thing you want is ,to do over THIS project. I would put 1/2 or 3/4 okay 5/8 obviously okay too,,,of treated PLYWOOD behind. If somebody gets something THRU that they earned the wrecked ticket along with a stud every 12 inches or less,,,costs a whole bunch less than a new stall Thats how "I" do things. drywall seems a waste of time and money since a kid can stick things thru that,,,a little kid!!! The cement board would probably be okay too,,,nothing LESS!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
SDG

Thanks for the info both of you.

The shower is being delivered tonight, I'll see how flimsy the walls are and go from there. I like the idea of treated plywood, would give the walls a full solid backing.

thanks again
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote