Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,646

Acrylic Shower Floor

I plan to take our tub out and install a shower in it's place, it is getting hard to get in and out of that tub. I have been looking at some acrylic shower floors and I want to tile the walls, that should save some money and my knees also. Will there be problems using this type of floor and can it be installed right on the decking? I can install a tile floor it is just hard on the old knees to get down for that long.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 538

Acrylic Shower Floor

i use acrylic shower pans all the time for same reason you want to. the ones i get are rigidized with foam. if the floor is un level i mix up some self leveling and pour into area after building a dam where edge of shower will be and around drain let it set up and a hour or two later set pan in place with silicone on floor to keep pan from squeaking then screw to studs

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
i use acrylic shower pans all the time for same reason you want to. the ones i get are rigidized with foam. if the floor is un level i mix up some self leveling and pour into area after building a dam where edge of shower will be and around drain let it set up and a hour or two later set pan in place with silicone on floor to keep pan from squeaking then screw to studs
Jay, how strong are the shower floors, do they have some kind of bracing, other than foam, under them for strength?

Jim
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,944

Acrylic Shower Floor

Those pans come in a variaty of qualitys---some quite rigid others,not so much---

I usually bed the new pan into some masons mortar---just to be sure that there are no voids (and no flexing of the pan)

You can also get cast onyx bases---damn heavy to install buy very solid---those are available from most suppliers of cast vanity tops.

Replacing the 5 foot tub with a four foot base and a one foot bench is a nice option---add a framed wall section along side the bench---this will give you a 4 foor opening--perfect for a standard door.

Water proofing the bench area is critical---use Hydroban--(Paint on ) or one of the surface membranes---Mike----
BigJim (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

Acrylic Shower Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Jay, how strong are the shower floors, do they have some kind of bracing, other than foam, under them for strength?
I installed one for a 400 lb man, with no problems.
still in use today.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Thanks Framer, that makes me feel better, although I am not quite that heavy.

Mike do you remember where the link is to the standard no frame glass doors?

I like that idea of setting the pan in masons mortar, do I set the pan while it is wet?

I will check the options you gave to see which way to go. I am planing to build a removable bench of redwood or cedar so we can move it around as needed, designing the base will need be built so the legs won't put too much pressure on the base. I may opt to build a ledge for the bench to sit on instead of a bench type with legs.

I am thinking about taking the wall out behind the to be shower and move it out about 10 or 12 inches as the soffit is 16 inches. That is a load bearing wall so I will need to install a beam in the attic above the ceiling joists against the rafters and support down to a footing I will need to pour under the house on each side of the room. I will support the ends of the beam down to the top plate and hold the beam 1/2 inch above the joists. I will use short 2X4s from the beam to the joists to fasten the joists to the beam.

I am hoping I can remove the rim joist and cantilever floor joists out over the foundation block wall to extend the 10 or 12 extra inches I need. This way I won't need to alter the roof because I will still be inside the overhang.

I need the extra room because our bathroom is very small and we want the shower to be large.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 04-06-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
DIY staff

Acrylic Shower Floor

Jim,Place the wet masons mix on the floor in blobs--how much you need depends on the pan--more if the bottom is an open egg crate design--less if flat.

Set the pan into the wet mud---wiggle and push until it's flat and level---install roofing nails into the studs above the lip of the pan--let it set up.

Avoid stomping the pan into the mud---you may find if you stand in it while the mud is wet--you will over compress the mud---pan springs up --and leaves you with a hollow spot under it.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Jim,Place the wet masons mix on the floor in blobs--how much you need depends on the pan--more if the bottom is an open egg crate design--less if flat.

Set the pan into the wet mud---wiggle and push until it's flat and level---install roofing nails into the studs above the lip of the pan--let it set up.

Avoid stomping the pan into the mud---you may find if you stand in it while the mud is wet--you will over compress the mud---pan springs up --and leaves you with a hollow spot under it.
Buddy, that is some good thinking. I have installed several bathrooms but I always used heavy grout to build the base, I have only installed one ready made and that was so long ago I can't remember how I did it. I will let you know how it goes. Oh, I plan to put in a half bath while I am at it and plan to build the sink out of wood, I was thinking of a small copper sink but I think wood would look sharp also. As slow as I am it will take me months to get all that done, can't work long at a time.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 04-07-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Left some off
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 548

Acrylic Shower Floor

Hi Jim,

Since your bathroom remodel is with aging in mind, here's some youtube videos that might give you some ideas.

Handicap bathroom remodeling.
A lot of good ideas here.
Especially note importance of strong backing in walls to accomodate grab bars, strong shower curtain rod, strong fold up arm rests on both sides of toilet to hold weight of person. Also the roll under bathroom sink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DRC...feature=relmfu

Regarding the roll under bathroom sink, my current bathroom remodel plan is to build a custom vanity. Wife and I are fit now so it will be built to accommodate our needs now for both looks and functionality. But the portion under the sink will be open to allow a large box with double doors to be slid in. Should either of us become wheelchair bound later, the box can be removed to allow the wheelchair to slide under the basin.

Also going to install a 36" wide pocket sliding door for entrance into the bathroom.

Here's a video of a wheelchair accessible house.
Lots of good ideas for the entire house.
The bathroom is at 11min, 21sec.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Hi Jim,

Since your bathroom remodel is with aging in mind, here's some youtube videos that might give you some ideas.

Handicap bathroom remodeling.
A lot of good ideas here.
Especially note importance of strong backing in walls to accomodate grab bars, strong shower curtain rod, strong fold up arm rests on both sides of toilet to hold weight of person. Also the roll under bathroom sink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DRC...feature=relmfu

Regarding the roll under bathroom sink, my current bathroom remodel plan is to build a custom vanity. Wife and I are fit now so it will be built to accommodate our needs now for both looks and functionality. But the portion under the sink will be open to allow a large box with double doors to be slid in. Should either of us become wheelchair bound later, the box can be removed to allow the wheelchair to slide under the basin.

Also going to install a 36" wide pocket sliding door for entrance into the bathroom.

Here's a video of a wheelchair accessible house.
Lots of good ideas for the entire house.
The bathroom is at 11min, 21sec.

HRG
HRG, I really do appreciate your input, this is some great ideas, the grab bars are for sure in the plans.

Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 548

Acrylic Shower Floor

Jim,

While browsing youtube I found another great video. This one is for an innovative wheelchair for bathroom use.

I know you're going to take out your tub but this wheelchair is so great, it's worth watching the video. Also, it allows use of the toilet without having to install a higher toilet. In fact a standard height toilet is better for it use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ioa...eature=related

Just an interesting video for a very innovative product,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Jim,

While browsing youtube I found another great video. This one is for an innovative wheelchair for bathroom use.

I know you're going to take out your tub but this wheelchair is so great, it's worth watching the video. Also, it allows use of the toilet without having to install a higher toilet. In fact a standard height toilet is better for it use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ioa...eature=related

Just an interesting video for a very innovative product,
HRG
That is just the neatest set up I have seen. Thanks for posting the link, I appreciate it a lot. We aren't in a wheel chair yet and hopefully we won't be but you never know.

Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
DIY staff

Acrylic Shower Floor

I wish I were closer---I enjoy bathroom builds---
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 538

Acrylic Shower Floor

the pan i use is solid rigidized foam and movable seats or the roll-in model for a wheelchair has never failed me yet set in silicone but again i do not use the silicone for leveling i use speed set self leveler first. i used to set them in a speed set mortar bed but they would occasional squeak. after talking to manufacture they recommended the silicone set method and no more squeaks. all other tubs or showers that are the "egg crate" style i always set in speed set mortar but i rarely use that style due to overall durability unless customer highly insists. if i am going to use a fiberglass unit i push for the style that has a plywood bottom that is fiberglass in and then has 4 feet that i set in speed set mortar for leveling purpose
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

Acrylic Shower Floor

Buddy, I wish we were closer, we would have fun at it anyway.

Jay, I appreciate that information, I will be looking for a base with the plywood incorporated in the base.

Jim