Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

acrylic bathtub water in corners and edges

I am installing an acrylic bathtub. Built a cradle out of 2x4's. Perfectly level on all 4 sides. The bathtub fits in it and is perfectly level in both directions length and width. The problem is a small bit of water collects and lingers on the corners and edges. The corners and edges appear to be flat.

Should I be worried or is this par for the course for acrylic bathtubs? Any remedies for this type of situation?

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean by a cradle.
It should have been set in a bed of mortar so it was fully supported if there was not a built in foam base.
No install instructions right on the tub or on there web site?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure what you mean by a cradle.
2x4's all around except for the faucet area. 2x4's attached to framing. The sides of the bathtub rest on the cradle.

The problem is not with the cradle. The cradle is just there to make sure the bathtub is level and offer solid support. The problem is that the acrylic tubs are manufactured with flat corners and edges. So water naturally collects and lingers in those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It should have been set in a bed of mortar ... if there was not a built in foam base.
I started another thread on this topic. The tub has a built in foam base but the floor (plywood) was ever so slightly off level. 1/8-1/4" over 4 feet. So on the faucet side of the tub the styrofoam base touches the plywood floor just right. On the far side of the tub the base is about 1/8-1/4" in the air. The other thread asked what to do to support the side in the air?

Last edited by jackwashere; 10-30-2013 at 04:20 PM.
jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Can you post a picture, with food coloring added to the water, to show what you mean that water is gathering in the corners of the tub. Also a picture with a four foot level on the backside and frontside, showing the slope of the tub, along with a picture with the level inside the tub bowl, showing the slope.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #5

I believe you are dealing with imperfection in the tub.
Only way I know to fix it is to put the the tub slightly out of level- back side up an 1/8". Not really proper though because you take the risk of having water run to the front apron

You don't want the tub rim solely supported by the ledger- nor do you want it in stress- it will crack