Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Access to outside faucet thru kitchen

I have an outside faucet that is leaking a slow, steady drip in a house circa 1970. Last summer, it was leaking at the valve; plumbers came and repacked it. That stopped that leak, but not it's dripping through the part that connects to the hose. The faucet goes through the brick wall into the area the kitchen sink cabinet bottom, according to the builder, who assures me that there is access under the bottom of the cabinet. The cabinets are original; not modular but built as one, so the boards that are at the bottom are long 1x10 planks that go all the way under the other cabinets next to the sink.

What is the best way to get access to that pipe that I hope is under there so it can be replaced? I'm tempted to first drill a 1" hole to see if the pipe is even there before I cut through the planks. Thanks.

Last edited by hermione; 01-14-2012 at 11:19 AM.
hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

If it's leaking there my first guess would be at some point it froze and cracked.
I'd replace it with a Freeze proof one. If it already is one then someone left the hose on when it got cold and froze.
Is there a crawl space under the house?
I've never seen a house on a crawl space without a way to get under the house.
Do you have an attached garage? Some times it's in there.
Look in all the closits once in a while I'll find the access in the floor.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

You should be able to stop the drip from the hose fitting by replacing the washer; that is outside the house at the bottom of the valve stem. Turn water off for this valve.
Loosen the nut under the handle all the way, unscrew the valve stem (turn handle ccw). At bottom of stem should be the worn washer held in by a screw. Take this whole thing to your favorite plumbing parts place and get new washer and screw (old one might be able to be reused but frequently they get corroded and fall apart). Reverse order and install. Should not leak unless valve seat is damaged (the ring of metal the valve washer seats against when closing the valve; you can see it once the valve stem is out. I'm sure there must be a You Tube video on this procedure if this isn't clear and/or come back with questions.
If you live in a place with freezing temps, you might want to turn that line off for the winter and drain it, if possible.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

The house is on a slab without a crawl space. There is no turnoff except the main one at the meter in the front of the house. The guys who were here last summer said that "repacking" the faucet (which they did with something that looked like heavy string) was the same as replacing a washer, so I'm not sure if replacing again would do any good. And yes, I would replace it with a frost proof model. I was hoping to save a bit of $$ by opening the access to the pipe so the plumber would not have to do that.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

If it's not dripping out of the spout it's not the valve seat or flat washer. To be leaking inside the wall it's split some place.
No way to tell from here where or how it's leaking but those valves only come two ways, soldered or threaded on. If was not leaking before and now it then somethings changed to cause it. Someone would have to have had to turn it to get it to leak if it's threaded, and solder is not going to come undone over time.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

I should clarify that it IS dripping out of the spout. I believe it is the long "frost free" type. At least that is what the plumbers told me last summer.

Last edited by hermione; 01-14-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,090

It would be highly unlikely that the "inside the house" portion of the hose bib/faucet valve and/or pipe supplying it to NOT be visible under that sink where all the other pipes and valves for the sink and dishwasher etc are located.

It may be hidden to some degree... but I'm 99.987% sure it's there.
And NOT below the level of the cabinet.
There should also be an overall "zone" valve for all the water connections there if this house is on a slab.

open that cabinet, remove all the buckets and bottles, and look carefully.
take a picture and post it here if you can too.

hth
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,036

Repacking is not the same as changing the washer.

You could put a cap on the spout and also turn the faucet to full open so if it froze the water would expand back up the pipe (not absolutely foolproof).

To reduce the chances of the outside faucet and also other nearby pipes freezing, keep the cabinet doors open in winter.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Not a great idea Allen. That would be a sure why to cause it to burst.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Here are pics showing the faucet outside, and the underside of the sink. Note that only the hot and cold pipes to the sink are visible. There is a shutoff to the cold only. The hot pipe has a shutoff to the dishwasher (left). Whenever there is plumbing to be done, they have to cut off the water at the street. My biggest fear is that the hose bib is buried in the slab. I have had friends who were victims of that.

We are in Arkansas where winters are comparatively mild. This year has been especially so, although it does get into the 20s at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Access to outside faucet thru kitchen-undersink-only.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,090

You have two questions here....

First is the leaky hose bib:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione View Post
I have an outside faucet that is leaking a slow, steady drip in a house circa 1970. Last summer, it was leaking at the valve; plumbers came and repacked it. That stopped that leak, but not it's dripping through the part that connects to the hose.

We are in Arkansas where winters are comparatively mild. This year has been especially so, although it does get into the 20s at night.
So long as the slow steady drip continues you shouldn't have to worry about the valve freezing up... but it won't hurt a bit to fix this all right and all right soon.

Second are the "how do I fix my plumbing in general" questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione View Post
Here are pics showing the faucet outside, and the underside of the sink. There is a shutoff to the cold only.
The hot pipe has a shutoff to the dishwasher.
Whenever there is plumbing to be done, they have to cut off the water at the street.

What is the best way to get access to that pipe that I hope is under there so it can be replaced?
The BEST way will be as part of an overall fix to how your water piping has been done...
to add a few new shut offs here and there and generally to just tighten it all up.

hth
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,002

"I should clarify that it IS dripping out of the spout."
Fix the washer as I described earlier.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

That does not look like any freeze proof shut off I've ever seen.
The water needs to be shut off and that nut that's holding in the stem removed, the stem slide out then you can replace the rubber flat washer.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

Not sure why the guys who came out last summer did not replace the washer (maybe because at that time it was not leaking out of the spout?) but I will call them to come out again. I'm assuming that the overall fix (adding shutoffs, etc), which I agree would be a good thing, would cost a lot of $$, including taking up that cabinet floor and replacing it.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,022

I would just cut the planks and replace the faucet with a frost free one being sure when I put back the planks I could remove them easily in the future if need be.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote