Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Access to kitchen pipes

I am not sure which forum this belongs to, but I thought I would start here. The plumbing under my kitchen sink between the garbage disposal and the wall fell apart earlier this week while I was washing dishes. I called a plumber, who came and said that the garbage disposal and plumbing had been improperly installed and the drain and disposal were at the wrong levels. He was able to give me a temporary fix so I can use my kitchen, but said that the kitchen plumbing has to be completely redone.

I bought my house earlier this year and have an American Home Shield warranty that (thankfully) covers this fix. What it doesn't cover is cutting into the back of the under-sink kitchen cabinet to get to the pipes. I am not sure if this is something I can do myself or if I should hire someone. I have no clue how thick the cabinet is, nor do I know how close the pipes are to the wall behind the cabinet. I asked the plumber who would do the work if I could pay extra to have them cut into the cabinet to access the pipes. I was told absolutely not. I've got no woodworking experience, and the area under the cabinet is really tiny.

I also have very little confidence that things will be as they should back there. The person we bought the house from had contractors do some work on it before we moved in, and the contractors were definitely amateurs -- especially in the plumbing department. We've already gotten several incorrect plumbing installations repaired, thankfully most of them before we closed on the house.

Should I call someone, and if so, what kind of professional? If I took one of my saws to the back of the cabinet, would I be likely to cut a pipe? I do very much want to use my warranty for this repair -- I imagine this would be an all-day job for some plumbers, and I'd prefer to pay my warranty copay of $60.
taylorroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Access to kitchen pipes

Without some pictures so we can try and guess why this even needs to be done, know what type plumbing you have, what's covering your walls, not sure how to help.
Is it the drains or the supplys that are an issue?
Post a picture of the back wall of the cabinet where the plumbing comes in.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
call me E

Access to kitchen pipes

It could be something simple like removing the disposal and re-configuring the drain inside the cabinet. This would be relatively easy for you to do- for less then $60
Get a couple quotes and ideas from other plumbers. Repiping in the wall as you describe is pretty much an all day job.
plummen (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Access to kitchen pipes

Also, I wonder what kind of "temporary fix" was done to it... +

Whenever I've messed with plumbing before (DIY) I don't see how anything could really be called temporary...

If indeed the plumbing needs to be re-done further back it's not a huge deal to cut through the back of the cabinet. Think 1/2" particle board/plywood back for the cabinet up against 1/2" of drywall, that's about it. It's very possible that there are wires back there, and then there will be your supply lines and the like as well, but you should be able to sort of tell where that's all going. Use a small hand saw vs. going at it with the sawzall so that you can use shallow cuts and be more sensitive to hitting an object. A good idea IMO is to buy an appropriately sized PVC access hatch (http://accesspanel.com/) and cut out the back of the cabinet to match whatever size you get. Once you have the back out you or a plumber can alter the pipes behind the wall and then you'll have to patch everything back up again. When putting it all back together it may be easiest, as I mentioned before, to mount an access hatch there vs. trying to re-do the drywall and fix the back of the cabinet (assuming they are allowed where you live).

Last edited by ajmckay; 08-31-2012 at 12:05 PM.
ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Access to kitchen pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorroad View Post
I am not sure which forum this belongs to, but I thought I would start here. The plumbing under my kitchen sink between the garbage disposal and the wall fell apart earlier this week while I was washing dishes. I called a plumber, who came and said that the garbage disposal and plumbing had been improperly installed and the drain and disposal were at the wrong levels. He was able to give me a temporary fix so I can use my kitchen, but said that the kitchen plumbing has to be completely redone.

I bought my house earlier this year and have an American Home Shield warranty that (thankfully) covers this fix. What it doesn't cover is cutting into the back of the under-sink kitchen cabinet to get to the pipes. I am not sure if this is something I can do myself or if I should hire someone. I have no clue how thick the cabinet is, nor do I know how close the pipes are to the wall behind the cabinet. I asked the plumber who would do the work if I could pay extra to have them cut into the cabinet to access the pipes. I was told absolutely not. I've got no woodworking experience, and the area under the cabinet is really tiny.

I also have very little confidence that things will be as they should back there. The person we bought the house from had contractors do some work on it before we moved in, and the contractors were definitely amateurs -- especially in the plumbing department. We've already gotten several incorrect plumbing installations repaired, thankfully most of them before we closed on the house.

Should I call someone, and if so, what kind of professional? If I took one of my saws to the back of the cabinet, would I be likely to cut a pipe? I do very much want to use my warranty for this repair -- I imagine this would be an all-day job for some plumbers, and I'd prefer to pay my warranty copay of $60.
most home warranty companys if not all do not cover installs that were done improperly, or code violations...something does not seem right about this..IMO..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (08-31-2012)