DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Acceptable Tub Drain Configuration?

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  djlandkpl 
#1 ·
I've got an issue with my tub drain. The pipe comes out exactly where my new tub drain needs to be so i don't have enough room to play with it. I would normally do a simple 90degree down into a U joint to create the P-trap. However, I can't do that due to the current configuration. Instead, I have to wrap away 90degrees and then down into a U joint created by 2 90degree fittings. I've attached a few pictures.

Is this an acceptable configuration? Any issues with it?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Yeah, these are all solvent parts. It's getting installed in a crawlspace that's above a finished ceiling. I don't want to ruin my ceiling by cutting a hole from below later on due to leaks. I'm hoping i can get this installed and have it sealed good and tight.

As for depth of trap... yeah, it's definitely more than 4". Any other thoughts? I'll post pics of the trapped space in 5 mins.

Just researched the depth of trap... 2-4". DAmn. Trying your idea of 45degree now. hopefully i can get it less than 4". Any thoughts on functionality? Will it work even with a deep trap?

#6 ·
Alrighty... i measured the water seal... 6" yikes!

Also, I've attached pics of the current situation. The red is red guard. I'm trying to seal the darn area. I'm looking for any trap options you may have. I'm all out of ideas.

I tried a 45degree and it doesnt work. The best I could do was 90degree to 66degree to U trap. This configuration was about 5inches of water seal. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

#9 ·
yeah, that damn wood... it's bracing something. I'm not exactly sure and didn't want to mess with it. Some idiot cut a bunch of it and someone came by to nail in support. It's been standing and I didn't want to mess with it. I cannot cut any further on the flooring to gain access. The only way to get access would be to go from my 1st level through the finished ceiling. No dice there. I'm so angry about that. The ceiling is finished so I don't want to ruin it.

Anyhow, reading further, it looks like my water seal is ~4.5 inches which is just outside of 2-4" requirement. These are all solvent weld fittings and yes, a solvent weld trap. The reason I used a long 90 and short 90 is for reach. I needed a "long" U trap which I could not find at the orange box store.

#13 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty much boxed in. I wish there was another way of putting in a p-trap, but it looks like I'm pretty much stuck at this point. Spoke to a couple guys at the local plumbing store here (not orange box) and they suggested this option attached. Said it won't pass code (due to the depth of water seal (~5.5 inches) but probably would drain just fine. Any thoughts before I weld this?

Thanks!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.