Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Share |

AC Condensate line

So I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Its a half bath and previously it had vinyl flooring and a 36" cabinet with sink. I demo'd the bathroom on Friday an did the tile work first - mostly because I was doing the entryway that the half bath is connected to and I wanted it to be contiguous.

So anyway I rip out the old cabinet and this is what I find - the AC condensate drip line had been taken out of the wall and into the drain under the cabinet. I never noticed it because we had never really used the cabinet in that bathroom for anything before.

My question is this - is there any reason i couldnt cut into the sheetrock and put that condensate drip line into the drain but inside the wall? Are there any reasons that it couldn't be done this way? I just want to be sure I'm not creating any problems in order to hide a 3/4" PVC pipe inside my wall.

I'm hoping to do this part soon so I can repair the sheetrock damage and start with paint and laying new baseboards/shoe moulding where the cabinet used to be.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
AC Condensate line-photo.jpg  

ssgtjoenunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Engineer

AC Condensate line

It's done that way probably because it needs to be trapped. You can't hide the trap in the wall.

Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
It's done that way probably because it needs to be trapped. You can't hide the trap in the wall.

What is the purpose of putting a trap on the condensate drip line?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Engineer

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtjoenunez View Post
What is the purpose of putting a trap on the condensate drip line?
Prevent sewer gases and critters from entering your HVAC duct system. There is likely a trap at the coil outlet too, but with your 6 weeks of heating it would likely dry out. You don't want to smell sewer gases while heating.

Last edited by Lee H; 03-04-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Prevent sewer gases and critters from entering your HVAC duct system. There is likely a trap at the coil outlet too, but with your 6 weeks of heating it would likely dry out. You don't want to smell sewer gases while heating.
Is there any other way to accomplish this inside the wall? The pedestal sink will hide the water and drain lines but this condensate line will end up in near plain view - not very attractive at all
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Engineer

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Is there any other way to accomplish this inside the wall? The pedestal sink will hide the water and drain lines but this condensate line will end up in near plain view - not very attractive at all
Open up the wall and move it to the center. Use a chrome dishwasher tailpiece under sink, and sleeve the plastic stubbed out with chrome. A small rubber coupling and the tailpiece should be mostly concealed by the pedestal.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #7

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Open up the wall and move it to the center. Use a chrome dishwasher tailpiece under sink, and sleeve the plastic stubbed out with chrome. A small rubber coupling and the tailpiece should be mostly concealed by the pedestal.

Centering it would certainly help hide it...I was just hoping to get it moved inside the wall, especially if I'm having to cut the sheetrock anyway
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Master Plumber

AC Condensate line

under most codes thats a violation, double check and find an alternative,

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
under most codes thats a violation, double check and find an alternative,
Which is a violation - putting it inside the wall or moving it to the center to hide it behind the pedestal sink? If its a code violation (i'll check into that) to put it in the wall I'll just move it dead center and hide it behind the pedestal.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #10

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Which is a violation - putting it inside the wall or moving it to the center to hide it behind the pedestal sink? If its a code violation (i'll check into that) to put it in the wall I'll just move it dead center and hide it behind the pedestal.
Concealing it in a wall is a violation. Needs to be accessible and drain into an approved drain receiver such as : floor drain, sink, washer box, tub overflow, etc....

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #11

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Concealing it in a wall is a violation. Needs to be accessible and drain into an approved drain receiver such as : floor drain, sink, washer box, tub overflow, etc....
Ok so it sounds like my only option is to open the wall, move the condensate line dead center but still drain it into that same trap. Sound about right?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

AC Condensate line

So I have one more option that I wanted to see if it would pass the sanity/code test.

Is the requirement that it be trapped at the drain or can it be trapped elsewhere?

I was thinking of putting a trap in the A/C closet and then hiding the downspout in the wall - is that even an option?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Master Plumber

AC Condensate line

Quote:
So I have one more option that I wanted to see if it would pass the sanity/code test.

Is the requirement that it be trapped at the drain or can it be trapped elsewhere?

I was thinking of putting a trap in the A/C closet and then hiding the downspout in the wall - is that even an option?
is this a condo or single family home

Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #14

AC Condensate line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
is this a condo or single family home
Single family - two story house. The A/C sits on the second floor right above the bathroom in the picture.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Master Plumber

AC Condensate line

You can not have a A/C condensate line connected to a sewer drain system trapped or in any fashion unless the drain is air gaped and the receiving line is trapped and resealed by secondary means, falls under the category of cross contamination, imagine an A/C system pulling methane gases from the sewer system and blowing through your home methane gas not only smells bad it will make you sick and can kill you. look for an alternate maybe a condensate pump with a flex line to the outside.