Is This About To Burst? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this about to burst?

Hi, Found this on hot water line coming from the the heater tank... does this meas it's got a microscopic leak?

The tank itself is in the attic and it's making all kinds of noises. Was thinking about installing a tankless unit in it's place so will replace this "leakage" as well.
Ticking time bomb? How long can I put it off??

Thanks, dedicated DIY'er

Advertisement

frisbeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,400

Is this about to burst?

As far as a microscopic leak on your hot water line goes, it could be just plain oxidation going on there or someone forgot to wash off excess flux after sweating pipe, which causes that color, it can be cleaned with vinegar and baking soda. It's been addressed on this forum many times. Check out link.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...-pipe-joints#b

As far as your hwh; What's that red tag hanging on the gas line for? What brand is it? How old is it? What kind of noise is it making? (maybe sediment buildup crackling from heating up etc. from not being flushed/cleaned on a regular basis) Thanks.

When you go new with your tankless, is this a project you will be doing yourself, or are you going to hire a pro?

Stay tuned, lets see what the pro's recommend.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 04-16-2013 at 10:33 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Is this about to burst?

The world altitude record for a water heater is over 200' form a basement in a 2 story home.

I would question the strange drain on the right side of the heater. Usually, a home inspector doing a pre-sale inspection would note any drain the is not straight (no elbows) and does not end about 6" from the floor with an unthreaded end since future people can do strange things to eliminate the temperature and pressure safety benefits. - You never know the deposits from leakage can do to build up the pressure beyond the strength of an older "cold heater" heater.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Is this about to burst?

Is that water heater inside the home, or is that an outside closet ?
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Is this about to burst?

Okay, not a plumber so I'm gonna ask:

Why is the hot water tank in the attic? If that puppy goes your looking at a massive repair bill. If the tank gets old and fills with sediment then needs replaced it's gonna be a true chore to get it drained and out safely. Sorry, this idea just looks bad in my opinion especially when "Murphy's Law" comes into play.
TheJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Is this about to burst?

I missed that the w/h is in the attic.
Being in the attic it should be in a pan and a drain from the pan to outside the house.
Same for the T&P drain line.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Is this about to burst?

Hey, Thanks for all the replies...
Did someone tell you that you have a ticking time bomb? No, that was my question as far as worrying about the corroded copper. Thanks for link - will do a clean up of it.
What's that red tag hanging on the gas line say? Hmm, I don't know - didn't look at it! I think it's just a Propane Warning tag.
Has an inspector/gas company red tagged this hwh? No
What brand is it? model number? how old is it? Old enough That I want to replace. What kind of noise is it making? (maybe sediment buildup crackling from heating up etc. from not being flushed/cleaned on a regular basis - probably never done) True - Probably not flushed. There is an outside hose bib that's connected though so easy to flush. The noise is "popping" and from the kitchen below, it sounds like a small animal rooting around.

When you go new with your tankless, is this a project you will be doing yourself, or are you going to hire a pro? I put one in my last house w/o a hitch so will do this one as well.

Just a suggestion, attics are not a good place for hwh. Agreed! That's how they all are around here though.
The Following User Says Thank You to frisbeeguy For This Useful Post:
jmon (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Is this about to burst?

I would question the strange drain on the right side of the heater. That's just the T & PR valve line. It's piped to the outside.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Is this about to burst?

Being in the attic it should be in a pan and a drain from the pan to outside the house. It has one.
Same for the T&P drain line.It is also plumbed correctly to the outside..
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,622

Is this about to burst?

Water heaters are put in different places in different areas of the country. If the tank is on a routine maintenance schedule- there's no reason it can't be in the attic.
Your heater sounds like its got a sediment issue. Plan for that tankless soon.
About your pipe- clean it up real good as mentioned. Repost a picture afterwards if you could. It's probably old flux....
jmon (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,400

Is this about to burst?

Frisbeeguy, thanks for answering all the questions. sounds like your on the right track. Hope we helped you out some. Good luck with your project. If you need anymore help or advice, keep asking questions, that's what the guys are here for. Thanks.

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote