Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

AAV Vents - Need Replaced?

Its a mobile home, the drains on the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and laundry are not connected to the main vent stack. They are vented individually by AAV vents, or undercounter vents. Pics below. They are original to the house and around thirty years old. Can i still use them or do i need to replace them?
Attached Thumbnails
AAV Vents - Need Replaced?-kitchen-sink-vent.jpg   AAV Vents - Need Replaced?-laundry-vent.jpg  

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

I'd replace them if you can afford it. And I'd defiantly replace the PB water lines with PEX.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

I'd just leave them.
However there not suppost to be hidden behind the wall, there suppost assessable.
Also I see you have Quest plumbing, there was class action sutes againt them for all the damage done to homes because of it bursting and the fitting getting pin hole leaks. It really needs to go.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Yes we are planning to rip out all of the PB pipes and replace them, but PEX is a no go. We just plan to put in CPVC. I cant see spending all of that money on the cutter, uncoiler, crimper, etc etc just to replumb supply lines on a small mobile home. If i was a pro plumber maybe but not just for this little job. CPVC is simple, just cut, prime and glue. And the two sinks are out in the open and the laundry one we plan to leave a cutout in the drywall in front it of it so it can get some air.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Just to let you know, the failure of PB was related to chlorine, and the bad connectors and crimp rings they used. I am on a well, and my whole house is still piped with PB and I have no trouble whatsoever. I did replace all splices with shark bites, and I piped a new bath in CPVC, with shark bite couplings to PB.

I have a manifold system with all home runs, which I like a lot.

I personally like copper, sweated, as I don't completely trust connections that depend on an O ring, but I cant use it due to acid in my water.

If your piping is very limited, you are probably best with CPVC, Just wanted to fill you in on PB, which is still extensively used in Europe where they don't legally flouride and chlorinate their citizens.

PS Id run that vent up through the roof if you can. Anything made by man can fail.

Last edited by jagans; 01-15-2013 at 11:46 AM.
jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

yeah but thats the thing... the roof doesnt leak. I want it to stay that way. If i go cutting a hole in it, it might start leaking. I cant take that chance.

I have never lived in a house with copper piping. Even the new home my parents had built when i was a kid was built with CPVC. And my water is from a meter because we arent allowed to dig wells on our property, its too close to the city. So, it has fluoride and chlorine in it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
I have never lived in a house with copper piping.

Really?? I've owned ten houses in the past 40 years and every one had copper piping. In one of them, even the DWV piping was copper. Hate to think what that would cost today.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Yeah i guess its a regional thing. I dont even think ive ever been to a house with copper piping, that i know of. Its all PB or CPVC around here. The newest ones are being built with PEX though.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer it would be great if you could go back and add your location to your profile.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Roofmaster

It remains to be seen how Pex works out. I have to tell you that all those crimp rings give me the willies. Pex is plastic, the fittings are brass, and the crimp rings are copper. We shall see................................

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #11

exactly. I feel better using what i know, which is plain ol' CPVC. All made of the same stuff, and ive never had a problem except for a pipe bursting when it wasnt wrapped properly.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

Being mechanical devices, AAVs can fail, though I've never had one do so. If it makes you feel better, replace them. They aren't expensive.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #13

Yeah i looked last night, Lowes has them for five dollars each. Not expensive in the least, but im worried about installation. I hope i dont have to cut the pipe to install it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #14

Any I've used are glued on.
Does it get below freezing in your area?
If so CPVC in an outside wall with what little insulation you have is not a good thing. If it freezes once it will burst.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

It does occasionally but not usually below 30. How much insulation should i be using? I got the R-13 for residential use between 2x4's 16" OC

My pipes wont be running through the walls though, they will be running under the floors and im planning to wrap them during installation with that black foam stuff they sell at Lowes.