AAV For Two Bathroom Sinks - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

AAV for Two Bathroom Sinks

I am planning to use an AAV for my dual sinks in the bathroom. Am I able to use one AAV for both sinks, or do I need to use one for each sink? Each will have it's own p-trap. The p-traps will enter sanitary tees. The tops of the tees will connect, and the bottoms of the tees will creating a loop (square). Bottom for drain, top for venting. I had envisioned putting an AAV on one "corner" of my loop above one of the tees and having this act as the vent for both sinks. Is this OK?

If this is ok, would I also be able to connect a washing machine drain to this AAV? as long as it is positioned high enough?

Also, can an AAV be installed offset from the p-trap using 90 degree bends as long as everything is above the trap, or does it need to be straight up from the sanitary tee?

It is possible to physically connect this to a vent line, but using an AAV would be much easier.

Thanks,

Richard

Advertisement

rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,222

I am not a pro, but I don't see a problem with a single (properly-sized) AAV for two sinks. And it could be offset - virtually all vent lines have bends somewhere. Not so sure about adding a washing machine drain - that's a lot bigger than a sink drain. Are AAV's legal where you live? They aren't in many places.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I agree that a single AAV should work, providing that it meets code in your locale.
A 1.5" sink drain will not accommodate modern washing machine drain pump discharge and that's why the code is for a 2" drain for washing machine drain lines today.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Yes AAVs are allowed where I live, and I will have access from the back in an attic crawl space. I am using a 2 inch drain for the washing machine, but I was under the impression that a 1.5" vent is adequate for 8 DFU, and washing machine and two sinks would be 5 right?
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote