Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Share |

AAV kitchen island vent code

Adding a kitchen island and a vent isn't easily accessible. I tried to call my local building dept but they are closed this whole week on furlough.

Does anyone know if Air Admittance Valve vents are compliant with Hayward, CA building codes? Or where I can call and check to find out?

http://www.studor.com/mini-vent.htm
the-ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Got the answer, mechanical venting is not allowed, so no.
the-ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

many years ago when i was in fla they would allow you to run a 3 inch line to an island sink and put a 3x1-1/2 tee on it for the drainand run the 3 inch up just under the countertop. since it was double the diameter of the minimum drain size it was self venting. I guess they approved it because 3 inch will carry 4 times what 1-1/2 will. some places would let you do a loop vent instead.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
many years ago when i was in fla they would allow you to run a 3 inch line to an island sink and put a 3x1-1/2 tee on it for the drainand run the 3 inch up just under the countertop. since it was double the diameter of the minimum drain size it was self venting. I guess they approved it because 3 inch will carry 4 times what 1-1/2 will. some places would let you do a loop vent instead.
Ive seen oversized drains used before,another option might be an island/loop vent going back down through the floor to an area it can be tied back into a vent stack
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
Here in. Florida you can now run it in 2" with a AAV. i don't care for the set up but it works and it's ok under our code

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote