7/8 Inch Vacuum Breaker For Garden Hose? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

7/8 inch Vacuum breaker for garden hose?

My house was built in 1996. My garden hose stated leaking at the vacuum breaker connection. After replacing hose washer and tightening with no positive results, I was able to remove vacuum breaker and tried to put a new 3/4 inch one back on. To the eye, the outer diameters are the same. But it does NOT fit. Is it possible I have a 7/8 bibb? Anyone know where to buy a 7/8 inch vacuum breaker? If not I'll have to replace the whole bibb.
And, one day the rest of the bibbs around the house.

Advertisement

Wahiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #2

Well, after some googling and talking to a irrigation/maintenance worker, it is most likely a hose bibb that has a fine thread instead of a hose thread. This was installed so that the HO could not then remove the annoying but necessary vacuum breaker, and be able to attach a hose tight enough without leaking. However locally, it appears no one carries the requisite vacuum breaker with female fine thread (FPT)/male hose thread(MHT), 3/4 ". This includes HD, Lowes, Ace and the 3 largest sprinkler companies in Honolulu. While it is available online, the shipping charges would exceed the cost of changing the bib to a male hose thread.

The 6 places above had no adapter (FPT/MHT) either. So rather than continue to look, I m going install a new ball valve bibb, new vacuum breaker with hose thread, both readily available at HD,

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Try calling a plumbing shop to see if they will sell you one.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #4

Thanks I did call two local shops to see if they had what I needed...no luck. So after changing the hose bib and vacuum breaker, I took a better look at the bib...it actually measures 1 1/8 inch across. That probably explains why no one has a 7/8 breaker.

Googled for 1 1/8 fip with 3/4 hose thread vacuum breaker, and actually got ONE hit.

It cost the same as both the 3/4 replacement bib and 3/4 vacuum breaker before shipping, so thats that.

I took apart the old vacuum breaker and there's a half pea-sized rock beneath the rubber gasket. But the gasket wasn't torn and still had flex in it. So maybe I have a temp backup for my other hose bibs. But based on the scarcity of 1 1/8 vacuum breakers it means switching the rest out to 3/4 inch eventually.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Can you post a picture? What exactly are you measuring??
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

sounds like a vacuum breaker for an arrow hose bibb. ace hardware has them around here for about 15 bucks
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Alan: I best as my old eyes allow, I was measuring the inside of the v.b., and the male outlet end of the bibb. I don't have a caliper, so I could be off a little.

the man: Where do u live? I live in Hawaii. I checked the secong largest Ace store here. But you're probably right the weathered markings looked like a bunch of arrowheads, and i can make out "made in usa".The bibb and vb I bought from the big orange box totaled just below $14.
But, it's good to know the right sized vb's are available somewhere in the US.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahiawan View Post
My house was built in 1996. My garden hose stated leaking at the vacuum breaker connection. After replacing hose washer and tightening with no positive results, I was able to remove vacuum breaker and tried to put a new 3/4 inch one back on. To the eye, the outer diameters are the same. But it does NOT fit. Is it possible I have a 7/8 bibb? Anyone know where to buy a 7/8 inch vacuum breaker? If not I'll have to replace the whole bibb.
And, one day the rest of the bibbs around the house.
What you're describing (anti-siphon vacuum-breaker for 1" fine threads) is what has become very rare, but as of 6/2012 after digging online finding it at Lowes online but unorderable (because I was in CA), going to the store, then talking on phone with 800 # customer service for 1/2 hour, I had success! It turns out (only) THE Lowes in Prescott AZ 86301 has 24 of them! and will ship!! for under $14 ttl, otherwise NONE in CA (or the world??).. very strange. Item #202673 Mdl #PS612 3/4" x 1" 20 fine thread "fitting".

Advertisement

kevcal is offline   Reply With Quote