Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Share |

5/8in water main

We recently replaced our main water line from the street to the house, the original line was 1/2in galvanized and had an actual inner diameter size of probably less than 1/4in thanks to rust buildup.

I figured I would put in whatever size our water main was, but when we looked the output side of our water meter it was only 5/8in, an odd size I thought but the size was even stamped on the manifold. So i called our water department and asked them if it was possible to upgrade, they told me it would be a total of 3k to put in a 1in meter. 1k for the meter and install another 500 for a new vault (apparently the 1in meters are too large to fit in the vault we have) and he said 1500 to upgrade some other infrastructure on the street to be able to provide that volume of water. Also the 1in line would move me to a new category for billing, said if I used the same amount of water I use today expect it to be $35 more each billing cycle. Needless to say I was not willing to put up the money.
After much searching I found a 5/8in to 3/4in converter piece and laid 3/4in pipe to the house.
Has anybody else seen 5/8in water meters? Would I have seen any benefit from 1in pipe even though the feed is only 5/8? Is this a normal price for a county to charge to replace a water meter?

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

5/8in water main

A larger pipe allows a larger flow in a given length of time, also it offers less resistance (friction) for a smaller flow.

Because of the ability to have a larger rate of flow, and they have no way of knowing whether you might do it at a peak usage time, the water company charges you more even if your total usage is less.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

5/8in water main

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxrunner View Post
After much searching I found a 5/8in to 3/4in converter piece and laid 3/4in pipe to the house.
Sounds like you made the best decision under the circumstances. If the city ever upgrades their meter, you'll be ready.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Picky Plumber

5/8in water main

Not unless you live in a giant house. 3/4'' water mains are the norm in my area with the occasional 1'' main fed from a 3/4'' meter which makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

5/8in water main

Thanks all.

Sounds like 3/4 in line will work just fine, we only have 2 bathrooms and no sprinkler system or anything. Just wanted to be sure that we would not be dealing with water pipe size related problems down the road.
I was told 1in main water lines were the standard, guess that might just be in new bigger houses.
linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote