Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

4 piece tub/shower leaking out where wall panel meets tub

Hi, looking for some advice. You can see the leak. The builder came back once to “fix” it, but didn’t help. All they did was put some caulk were the side panel meets the tub about 2 inches in. The caulk didn’t adhere very well, I pulled it out just prior to taking photo. I covered the area with the shower curtain to keep any water off I could to see it that would help...it didn't. It seems to be going to the seam and wicking out. What should I do. I'd like to fix it before it become a more serious problem. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
4 piece tub/shower leaking out where wall panel meets tub-2011-11-27_00-24-48_644-copy.jpg  

JackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLantern View Post
Hi, looking for some advice. You can see the leak. The builder came back once to “fix” it, but didn’t help. All they did was put some caulk were the side panel meets the tub about 2 inches in. The caulk didn’t adhere very well, I pulled it out just prior to taking photo. I covered the area with the shower curtain to keep any water off I could to see it that would help...it didn't. It seems to be going to the seam and wicking out. What should I do. I'd like to fix it before it become a more serious problem. Thanks.
The entire joint should be caulked.

It needs to be cleaned and thoroughly dried before caulking.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

caulk the entire joint? it appears like this is some sort of overlapping sysem that could work w/o caulk(if installed right). it bellies out about 1/2 in the middle section and there is a weep hole. i'm guessing that weep hole is to let water out the gets in around the shower head and handle. See attached pics. should it just be caulked where i circled?

in the other shower(tile walls with pan on bottom), the builder caulked over weep holes in my shower pan which caused the pan to overflow out and behind the shower, ruin trim, swell floor etc. i'm working ont that one...which is how i noticed this wasn't fixed right.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
4 piece tub/shower leaking out where wall panel meets tub-2011-11-27_12-22-44_362.jpg   4 piece tub/shower leaking out where wall panel meets tub-2011-11-27_12-23-14_943.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

that looks like a sterling tub and shower unit.....you only caulk the front 4" upon install "that was not done" that small off set is where water is to drain back into tub......because that was not done if you caulk any where DO ALL THE SEAMS TO KEEP ANY WATER OUT OF CHANNEL>>>or remove panel and do it right...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #5

hi, just following up. so upon closer investigation i could see the builder did caulk like the instructions say. i found them after you told me what kind of unit it was. however due to weight of tub or settling or both there was about a 1/8th gap between the tub and the old silicon.

i cleaned out the joint, filled the tub with water and then ran the silicon. couple uses and it seems to have done trick.

so...thank you

-jack
The Following User Says Thank You to JackLantern For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-16-2012)