Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

30 feet of pipe clogged yet again

My kitchen sink is in an island and has the unique island venting. It appears to be set up and venting correctly. The waste drain for this sink is 2" pipe that appears to be pitched at about 1/4 " per foot and it runs 30 feet to the main and then runs into a rural on site septic tank system. There may be a little less than 1/4" per foot in one small area due to the placement of the central carrier beam. The problem I have is that this pipe has clogged so badly for the second time, that I had to replace more than 20 feet of it. Solidly plugged with just a tiny hole in the middle for waste water to flow in. We do not put grease or food scraps down the drain and we run hot water through the pipe ocassionally to help keep it clear. I have had similar problems with bathroon sink drains as well, but nothing like this kitckhen drain. Replacing the entire pipe twice in a 6 year period is unacceptable to me. What should I be looking for to help correct this? Also, what can I use maintenance wise, to help keep this build up off of the pipes walls, particularly when the pipe is 30 + feet in length? Thanks for any insight. Rick

rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Plumb or Die!

Never been a big fan of island venting, or air admittance valves, but try adding an AAV to your setup. 30' is a lot of pipe, the island venting might not be done as good as it could be. And what's clogging the pipe if it isn't grease?

plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
Never been a big fan of island venting, or air admittance valves, but try adding an AAV to your setup. 30' is a lot of pipe, the island venting might not be done as good as it could be. And what's clogging the pipe if it isn't grease?
Thanks for the advice. Can the AAV be added in conjunction with the island vent? I assume it would be placed under the sink? I'm not a plumber, just a second rate Handy man of sorts. I don't know what else to do if its grease in the pipe? We let all grease solidify in the pan and then empty into used coffee cans. We were told to switch to liquid dishing washing detergent instead of the powder we had been using. Any other advice you may be able to offer? Prehaps in the way of weekly maintenance? I already use boiling water once a week. Thanks Again. Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Do you know where the foot vent for the island vent is located? It should have a C.O. above the floor. You might try to clean that line. It is the pipe that vents your island. If not clear it can affect the sink drainage.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Only water going down the sink? No food , garbage disposal, no watering plants. You replaced pipe to pvc? Well water or city?
semore 102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by semore 102 View Post
Only water going down the sink? No food , garbage disposal, no watering plants. You replaced pipe to pvc? Well water or city?

It is well water. It is not excessively hard. There is not a garbage disposal but my wife does tend to water some plants over the sink? The pipe throughout the house is white PVC. And the water pipes are soldered copper. There is not a clean out anywhere in the sink run. There is a cleanout right at the main before it exits the house. A local plumber told me I needed to use 1 1/2" pipe instead of 2" to help the water move slower since the pitch of the pipe cannot be increased? This confuses me. The sink is a double basin and when the dishwasher is running you need to leave one of the basins open, in other words you cannot close off both sinks withwater or you get a lot of gurgling. I know the vent is not plugged, as I felt lots of cold air coming down the pipe when I replaced the 20 feet of drain. Maybe not enough vent? Another vote for an AAV? If so where should it be placed? Thanks Again for all advice.

Last edited by rickr01; 01-04-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

You can get them at home depot. Make sure you get the one that is code compliant. More expensive. I would put it under the sink. Pipe it in and locate the vent at the highest area under the sink. Leave enough room to remove it if it requires replacement in future. Basicly a check valve. Lets air in and prevents water or air pressure from exiting.
semore 102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by semore 102 View Post
You can get them at home depot. Make sure you get the one that is code compliant. More expensive. I would put it under the sink. Pipe it in and locate the vent at the highest area under the sink. Leave enough room to remove it if it requires replacement in future. Basicly a check valve. Lets air in and prevents water or air pressure from exiting.

Thanks so Much. I'll see if that helps.