Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3 handle shower/tub faucets

Are diverter valves (Shower control) commonly hot or cold stems or are they a special stem? I just replaced hot and cold stems (20 year old ceramic stems) and wanted to change out the diverter valves (Shower control) since I had the wall open.

phunam04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Some diverter stems are different being that they may have a longer or shorter thread pattern and this would determine how far in the diverter travels resulting in the diverting process to the tub spout or shower head. So best thing here to do is just replace it with a new one

plumbbum0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The diverter stem with the cover and handle on the shower side has been removed and the stem is exposed, the rod is a little wobbly but not leaking.
I just changed out the hot and cold stems and thought why not get all three done.
I have access behind the wall and using a 3/4 open end wrench I attempted to remove the center stem.. Going counterclockwise the thing didn't budge (unlike the hot and cold stems, counterclockwise worked for easy replacement). I thought for a minute and decided to try clockwise rotation being careful not to force anything or damage the head of the nut. It started to move and was able to loosen it all the way but seemed to run into a problem, a threaded disk the size of the bottom of a soda can came out from what appears to be some cover from the valve itself. With the threaded disk attached to the stem it doesn't fit through the wall hole for closer inspection. Any ideas??
I replaced all pieces and the shower works fine but I'd really like to replace that center stem.

Last edited by phunam04; 02-26-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: corrections
phunam04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Try checking Your local supply house. Sometimes they will know what you have or can look up the style in a book and this would have a drawing to look at. without knowing the brand it would be tuff to help. But check with them to see if they have a schematic of the valve.
plumbbum0203 is offline   Reply With Quote