Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

3.5'' Brass Drain cleanout cover

I am doing some renovation in my basement and discovered my main drain cleanout was under cement. I figured I would break-away the cement while access is easy and before an emergency happens. In the process of removing the cement, i punched a hole in the 3.5'' brass cap. I tried my hardest to get the cap off by unscrewing it but had no success. I ended up busting the cap out with a chisel.

I went to home depot to buy a new cap. I only found brass ones and these galvanized test plugs with rubber gasket in the middle which may work. I purchased the brass plug for now.

The cast iron pipe threads are heavily corroded and I had a heck of a time getting the threads started on the new cap. I did get cap to screw on some but i think it is getting cross threaded. I have tried penetrating oil and lots of repetative tightening and loosening but i can only get it to make about 1.5 -2 complete turns before it gets too hard to turn.

Do you think this will be enough tension if my sewer backs up or should i look at buying a lead cap and possibly pounding it in? Does anyone have any other suggestions on what i can do or use in replacement of the brass cap? Would that test plug be sufficent (http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ug-115758.aspx)?

Thanks

jeffmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Use the plastic test plug. You can force the threads on and it should hold fine.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Take a drill with a wire wheel and clean up the threads, then purchase another cap . brass or lead And thread it in . Don't pound it in. I would not trust the plug. just my opinion. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #4

If I use a wire wheel to clean the threads I am assuming it will cause sparks. Do I need to be concerned with any sewer gases igniting? Should I take any precautions?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Take a drill with a wire wheel and clean up the threads, then purchase another cap . brass or lead And thread it in . Don't pound it in. I would not trust the plug. just my opinion. BOB
Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

To be Honest with you I have never heard of a home sewer line blowing up from this. You do have a point! Before you proceed maybe some one else could answer that. There should be water in the trap to keep the sewer gases from backing up into the house. but then which side is the cap located on? the house side which would be safe, or the street side? BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #6

The cleanout was on the house side. I used a wire wheel to clean the threads and i was able to get a new lead cap installed without any trouble. Thanks for the assistance.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #7

What i cant get the lead plugs out, i usually melt(torch) the lead ,then chisel the rest ...

metx is offline   Reply With Quote