Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Share |

2nd try at basement laundry.

Okay folks... Here we go again... I tried it "my way" and was shot down...

I'll warn ya now... This is long, but quite descriptive.

I’ve given in to the fact I’ll have to break up the floor in order to correctly plumb my future laundry room. That said, I’ve also decided to change the location of the machines in order to save even more space.

Picture #1

What you see here is the rough in for the basement bathroom.
- Pipe “A” is a 2" run under the slab for a vanity/sink. The pipe rising vertically is 1.5”. Remember this pipe as we’ll talk about it later…

- Pipe “A” seems to run in line with my wonderful MSPaint lines over to pipe “A1”. I broke away a bit of the slab to see what was under there. I found a tee fitting which I believe connects to pipe “A” and continues over to a point behind the 3” stack, to a pipe I labeled “B1”.

"B1" is not the 3", but rather another 2” pipe protruding vertically up from the slab. I believe “B1” is the vent for the shower drain stub out, labeled “B”. Below “B” is a 2” Ptrap which outputs in the direction of the vent pipe “B1”. No sure why, but I’m assuming these pipes are either connected to each other, or dump into the 3” stack.

Picture #2

Here’s another view of the pipes mentioned above…

Picture #3

This is an overhead shot of what I believe to be the venting for the vanity/sink and shower. Again, “B1” is a 2” which runs horizontally over to
a “T” where the vent to pipe “A” connects. Then… The 2” turns vertically and runs up through the roof.

Picture #4

Finally…. My questions…

- Which is a better option? Connecting either a laundry tub or cloths washer drain stack to the line from the vanity/sink or the shower?

- What’s up with that venting design? Can I use that for my laundry tub or cloths washer drain stack?

- I also have a floor drain (located out of the picture) If you look at picture #2, it’s positioned about 18” out from the water heater.

What say ye? Where should I begin to bust up the floor. Be advised… I do not have the funds to pay a plumber to do the whole job. I REALLY wish I did. However, I need to keep this as inexpensive as possible. and cut costs on labor where ever I can.

Thanks…

Mn_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
DIY staff

To many a=b+c--please just show us where you want to put the washer box---after that one of us will tell you where to pipe it.---Mike----

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
To many a=b+c--please just show us where you want to put the washer box---after that one of us will tell you where to pipe it.---Mike----
Sorry Mike... I got a bit carried away...

As seen in the above picture, the backs of the washer and dryer would be in the same position as the junk ladened racks you see. It's possible the machines will be stacked, but most likely side-by-side. Washer closest to the softener.

Last edited by Mn_Shooter; 01-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to terrylueders

I do not see any problems with what you have. No need to rip up the floor. Run the laundry tub to the vanity. Where do you see a problem? The only problem I might see is this. Do you have a trap for the shower?
terrylueders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylueders View Post
I do not see any problems with what you have. No need to rip up the floor. Run the laundry tub to the vanity. Where do you see a problem? The only problem I might see is this. Do you have a trap for the shower?
The problem is there will be a wall between the laundry (where the machins will be sitting) and the bathroom where the vanity/sink will be. That's the reason I think I'll have to bust up the slab. Either I tie the laundry drain in with the bathroom vanity/sink, shower, toilet or the floor drain (not seen in the pic).

I'm thinking the vanity/sink would be the best bet. It's the tallest of the bunch. Will have a trap. Is already vented above.... I could be well off base though. Which drain would you tie into?

And yes... The shower does have a trap below the slab.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Here is one way to do it without worrying about what's underslab:
Cut in a 3 x 2 san tee near the base of the 3" stack, about where your clean out is. Run the 2" to the left to where you want your washer box. Within 5ft of the washer box (in the new 2" line) put a 2x1.5 santee on its back and tie it into the horz. vent of a1. Now you are vented too and it's all in that future wall. The only problem with this is the new 2" line passes by a1, making for a fat wall.

Side note: I'm not liking the vent from the lav in picture 4. It appears higher then the 2" it ties into. Vents cannot drop back down in elavation.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Here is one way to do it without worrying about what's underslab:
Cut in a 3 x 2 san tee near the base of the 3" stack, about where your clean out is. Run the 2" to the left to where you want your washer box. Within 5ft of the washer box (in the new 2" line) put a 2x1.5 santee on its back and tie it into the horz. vent of a1. Now you are vented too and it's all in that future wall. The only problem with this is the new 2" line passes by a1, making for a fat wall.

Side note: I'm not liking the vent from the lav in picture 4. It appears higher then the 2" it ties into. Vents cannot drop back down in elavation.
If that 3" didn't serve the upstairs bath, that's exactly what I'd do. In fact, the inspector "gigged" my mock up doing just what you suggested. His suggestion was to tie into drains/venting currently in place in the basement.

RE: your side note...

You are correct!! That does look wrong doesn't it? The reason it was run like that (I assume) was due to some HVAC blocking it's direct route. It can be fixed, and will be before my next visit from the inspector. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #8

I would argue with your inspector until I was blue in the face. All those pipes prolly tie into the 3" at some point. Ask him how they piped the stacked toilets at the multi story Holiday Inn he stayed at.

I suppose you could use a1 instead if it ties into the underslab pipe with a wye fitting and not a tee. If so, that maybe the intended purpose of a1 if it does actually connect to your lav line (a).

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote