DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   2nd story venting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/2nd-story-venting-172148/)

mikem201 02-17-2013 07:49 AM

2nd story venting
 
Hi guys,

When you have a 2 story house is it normal practice to just have a secondary waste vent stack that serves the 2nd story rather than having to re-vent the 1st story fixtures to a point at least 6 inches above the 2nd story fixtures and meet up with the main stack?

hammerlane 02-17-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem201 (Post 1118830)
Hi guys,

When you have a 2 story house is it normal practice to just have a secondary waste vent stack that serves the 2nd story rather than having to re-vent the 1st story fixtures to a point at least 6 inches above the 2nd story fixtures and meet up with the main stack?

Depending on the carpentry/wall-layout of the 2nd floor in relation to the fixture groups on the 1st floor...No

mikem201 02-17-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerlane (Post 1118860)
Depending on the carpentry/wall-layout of the 2nd floor in relation to the fixture groups on the 1st floor...No

So, you would rather re-vent the fixtures from first floor to extended above second floor and meet up with main stack in lets say the attic?

TheEplumber 02-17-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem201 (Post 1119085)
So, you would rather re-vent the fixtures from first floor to extended above second floor and meet up with main stack in lets say the attic?

The only reason to do this is to minimize roof penetrations. From a contractors perspective (material & labor) it's much easier to punch a pipe through the roof then crawl around in an attic tying pipes together

mikem201 02-17-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1119088)
The only reason to do this is to minimize roof penetrations. From a contractors perspective (material & labor) it's much easier to punch a pipe through the roof then crawl around in an attic tying pipes together

ok so basically you would have a separate waste and vent for the 2nd story? When you run the separate vent from roof to the basement you just tie that new stack into the main drain or do you tie into the main stack rather than digging up the floor?

TheEplumber 02-17-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem201 (Post 1119107)
ok so basically you would have a separate waste and vent for the 2nd story? When you run the separate vent from roof to the basement you just tie that new stack into the main drain or do you tie into the main stack rather than digging up the floor?

You don't have to have a separate w&v stacks for the 2nd floor
A vent is ran from the fixture it serves to a common vent or is ran by itself- such as many kitchen sinks are.
As long as they are sized properly- drains from different floors can tie together at any point.
As always- there are exceptions to rules...
What exactly are you trying to do anyways?

mikem201 02-17-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1119127)
You don't have to have a separate w&v stacks for the 2nd floor
A vent is ran from the fixture it serves to a common vent or is ran by itself- such as many kitchen sinks are.
As long as they are sized properly- drains from different floors can tie together at any point.
As always- there are exceptions to rules...
What exactly are you trying to do anyways?

Just curious because I am just starting school I hope you dont mind the questions. I know you don't need separate w/v stacks for 2nd floor but you mentioned its easier just to run one through the roof rather than tie into the main stack. Now if you don't do that then your first floor fixtures are going to have tie into the common vent stack at a point 6 inches above the highest fixtures on the 2nd floor, right? When you say it can be ran by itself like many kitchen sinks are what do you mean exactly? Thanks.

TheEplumber 02-17-2013 04:39 PM

Ask all the questions you want :thumbsup: There are a handful of plumbers on here regularly- from across the country. You'll soon realize that we all work under different codes. Where are you located? Do you know what code you'll be studying?
And yes, vents tie together 6" above the flood rim. Imagine bathrooms at opposite ends of a house and on separate floors. You could bring the vents together at some point or take them out as two separate vent stakes. Same goes for the kitchen. In my area, kitchens often are vented through the roof by itself because they're not close to other plumbing fixtures

Javiles 02-17-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem201 (Post 1119141)
Just curious because I am just starting school I hope you dont mind the questions. I know you don't need separate w/v stacks for 2nd floor but you mentioned its easier just to run one through the roof rather than tie into the main stack. Now if you don't do that then your first floor fixtures are going to have tie into the common vent stack at a point 6 inches above the highest fixtures on the 2nd floor, right? When you say it can be ran by itself like many kitchen sinks are what do you mean exactly? Thanks.

As E mentions multiple codes multiple set ups, what he means is that kitchens are usually at one end of the house and bathrooms groups are more commonly closer, you would not want to run 40 feet of pipe through the attic to vent a kitchen or bath to a common vent, and you do have limits on the travel on a re vent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved