Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Share |

2nd story bathroom, drain &vent, please help!!!

Hello everyone!
I am adding a second story bathroom on top of the 1st story bathroom.
1st story bathroom has a 3" drain under the slab, for the toilet, toilet is vented thru 2" pipe and sink discharges into this vent. So it looks like this:

I
I ---U lv
I /
I/
I
======U WC

=== is a 3" pipe, --- is 2" pipe, I is a 2" vent and U is a water trap,

I plan to cut the 3x3x2 tee out, replace it with 3x3x3 tee and run a 3" stack up to the second story, so i can drain a toilet down. The sink and a toilet will be along the same wall and a shower 8' away.
I was hoping to make it simple, run this 3 inch stack to the 2nd floor, it would change to 2" at the tee between the joists and 2" will serve as a vent for both 1st and 2nd floor toilets.

I am not sure if I can drain my sinks and shower into the same stack. and also if i need any extra vents. The way i drew it, that 2nd story shower and a sink will have a separate vent and will drain below 2nd story toilet. Should I extend this 2" stack all the way down and try to drain it into horizontal 3" pipe before the 1st floor toilet vent? I am looking for the simplest solution, horizontal pipe is under the slab and I want to avoid a lot of concrete braking

I would highly appreciate an advice from the professional. Our project is way over budget and we cant afford a licensed plumber to do the work. I pulled a building permit and it means the plumbing will have to pass an inspection.

Thank you very much for your input!

Last edited by serik; 07-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.
serik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2

Here is a better diagram, so you guys can see what i am up to.
Please, let me know if it meets the code and if it will work without any issues.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by baleworker; 08-09-2009 at 04:08 PM.
baleworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleworker View Post
Here is a better diagram, so you guys can see what i am up to.
Please, let me know if it meets the code and if it will work without any issues.
Thanks a lot!

No it will not meet code. You are creating a wet vent for the first floor drains.( Drain water from the second floor is flowing past the first floor vents.) Run the new 3 inch line from the second floor drain back to the 3 inch main drain (horizontal pipe). Tie in the second floor vent into the 3 inch going thru the roof.

Not sure your existing first floor arrangement meets code either, but it existing.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

ok ,so i guess i have to preserve a separate vent for the 1st floor toilet and sink, right?

I updated a diagram, also, what fittings should I use?
The whole horizontal 3" pipe is under the slab, and that new vent would have to be under the slab too and have a small horizontal section till it meets the wall. How can I add a horizontal 2" vent to the horizontal 3" drain?

Also, is it OK to have a shower trap 8' away from the vent?

Thanks!

Last edited by serik; 08-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
serik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serik View Post
ok ,so i guess i have to preserve a separate vent for the 1st floor toilet and sink, right?

I updated a diagram, also, what fittings should I use?
The whole horizontal 3" pipe is under the slab, and that new vent would have to be under the slab too and have a small horizontal section till it meets the wall. How can I add a horizontal 2" vent to the horizontal 3" drain?

Also, is it OK to have a shower trap 8' away from the vent?

Thanks!
I would tie the second floor SH(ower) into the vent. And tie the first floor BT (tub) into the vent. Use a 3/3/2 tee.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote