Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

2nd Floor Sewage smell

Hi folks
I was just appointed head of facilities at a brand new 19 million dollar building.
I do have to do some janitorial work as well. so Im pretty busy. I have been smelling a very foul smell coming from the 2nd floor, mens room floor drain. The building has a Basement, 1st floor second floor, roof which has a vent. Their are 4 wall mounted urinals 6 toilets in 4 bathrooms, each has a floor drain. The only bathroom that smell real bad is the 2nd floor mens. Why??? I was told to pour water down it to stop the gases from coming up. It helped a lot. Why does this happen shouldn't the circuit be self supplied with a water source. I have the prints, did they mis a p trap

Thank a 1,000,000
JodyG

jodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
bbo

2nd Floor Sewage smell

if there is no water going down the drain ever, the trap will eventually dry up and sewer gasses will escape.
if you poured water down and it helped, most likely the trap had been dry.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

2nd Floor Sewage smell

most newer buildings required trap primers on floor drains. they run a little water into the trap when a sink is used. is this building occupied 100%?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

2nd Floor Sewage smell

Thank you for your reply

This building is a bus depot. where many people use the First floor bathrooms. unlike the 2nd floor where it get used very little, but does get used. This room is for our bus drivers. The room that smells is the mens room, or did smell, I poured water down it. So this should get a feed from the sinks??? If so these sinks have an electric eye to shut off. and the water pressure is very light. So this might have a primer hooked up. This I should see in the prints.

best to you
jody
jodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

2nd Floor Sewage smell

Some drawings will show trap primers to be installed- may have to look at detail drawings. If the building is new- they should be there. Pretty much code required now days.
Check under the lavs for a small 3/8" tube connected to the tailpiece. also look at the flush valves on the toilets for the same tube. Usually only one fixture per bathroom will have the primer tube. Also look for an access panel on the plumbing wall. Sometimes a trap primer valve is used rather then feeding off a fixture- they are easily calibrated.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

2nd Floor Sewage smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyg View Post
Thank you for your reply

This building is a bus depot. where many people use the First floor bathrooms. unlike the 2nd floor where it get used very little, but does get used. This room is for our bus drivers. The room that smells is the mens room, or did smell, I poured water down it. So this should get a feed from the sinks??? If so these sinks have an electric eye to shut off. and the water pressure is very light. So this might have a primer hooked up. This I should see in the prints.

best to you
jody
Trap primer installs would depend on the plumbing code at the time and your plumbing inspector opinion. At one time the belief was that when the floor was mopped enough water would get into the trap to maintain the seal. But now a days folks just damp mob so nothing gets into the trap. Just have your janitor dump water down that floor drain on a monthly basis.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewage, smell, vent