Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

2FT water in my basement, Need help finding a good portable sump pump

Basement flood and I need to empty it. I'm looking for suggestions on Portable sump pumps. There is I think 2 Ft or so of water. (I Now the obvious that the drain is clogged and maybe backing up. ) I have ongoing issues with water so would like help in find a good quality portable sump pump.

I've been looking at Pumps on department store websites to try and get some info before going into purchase one. Below are some different ones i've found but I don't have the brand name.

* Pump sump VRT FLT SWTCH 1973 Handles up to 1/2" solids & clog resistant impeller.
* Pump sewage C.I. W/SWTCH 1/2 HP Handles 2" spheical solids, Non-clogging vortex impeller.

Anyone that has any suggestions on different pumps good or bad I would appreciate. Thank in advance for your suggestions.

willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Do something

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowgirl View Post
Basement flood and I need to empty it. I'm looking for suggestions on Portable sump pumps. There is I think 2 Ft or so of water. (I Now the obvious that the drain is clogged and maybe backing up. ) I have ongoing issues with water so would like help in find a good quality portable sump pump.

I've been looking at Pumps on department store websites to try and get some info before going into purchase one. Below are some different ones i've found but I don't have the brand name.

* Pump sump VRT FLT SWTCH 1973 Handles up to 1/2" solids & clog resistant impeller.
* Pump sewage C.I. W/SWTCH 1/2 HP Handles 2" spheical solids, Non-clogging vortex impeller.

Anyone that has any suggestions on different pumps good or bad I would appreciate. Thank in advance for your suggestions.
Zoller makes very good and strong pumps, we use them very often. Best of luck!

D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have sewage mixed in with the water?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #4

I dont' think so, but only saw it for a min as the power was out and its was late. I'm going back tomorrow to check it out. (We've been having major rain and snow the last few days. Many places are having basement problems) Sometimes in the older house's here the like can become clogged and back up. I'm hoping its not a mixture. I was just thinking of the pump that says sewage because thinking it wouldn't clog as easy if there is dirt and stuff it the basement. I was thinking they may be built better too, and more durable in the long run.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Brie View Post
Zoller makes very good and strong pumps, we use them very often. Best of luck!
Do you know if they sell them at kents, homedepot, or homehardware in Canada?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

In Maine they seem to be carried at just plumbing supply type places, I am in southern Maine and there are many dealers but no box stores.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Rather than a

rather than a "sewage pump" look for a "trash pump". Have you tried your local tool rental?
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

I am assuming you do not have a sump pump pit, else I presume you would have mentioned it. The type of pump you need would be dependent on whether you intend to install a sump pit. Submersible pumps, which are the most common type, can only operate down to a certain level above the floor, specific to the pump. For example, many pumps require a minimum of three inches or even more water above the foot of the pump in order to operate. These pumps typically operate off a float switch, which is normally intended to be installed in the sump pit.

There are other types of pumps, typically lower horsepower, that can pump almost to floor level. These are typically not submersible pumps, but are typically designed for cleanup of a couple of inches of water on the floor.

A solids handling pump means that it is capable of passing a solid sphere of a given size. I have a 3/4 inch solids handling submersible sump pump in my basement. It is a Barnes industrial grade 0.4HP pump, somewhat more expensive than the typical big box store models, because it is capable of operating in a dry condition without burning out. Such a condition might arise if there were a fault with the float switch, and the pump remained on even though there was no water left in the sump.

If flooding is a typical problem in your area, you need to install a sump pit. Check this forum for past discussions on how to install such a pit, how to set the float level, and how to install the piping. The most important issue you need to address is where you are going to run the piping, it does you no good to run the water outside the house and have it run back in, you need to get the water either into the storm drain system (NOT the sewer system), or well away from your house to a lower elevation.

By the way, your flooding is probably not due strictly to a blocked drain, more likely the groundwater level has risen above the elevation of your basement. Cleaning the basement drain, unless the drain is connected to the storm drain system, may not do anything to alleviate the flooding.

As for draining the basement, you may want to consider renting a gas power pump, they can draw a lot more water than a submersible pump, and you can get the level down low enough so you can build the required sump pit. Or you can wait for the water to go down and then build the sump. Either way, be very careful working in a wet basement, especially if you end up using an electric jackhammer to install the sump pit, you don't want to get electrocuted.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #9

Yes that is my concern about the electrical. I don't want to step down into it as I'm concerned me moving around could cause it to his some electrical that hasn't been tripped yet. It is a very common problem in this area. I have my home basement flooding too, and I do believe its because the water level has rised. If I can get a few inches pumped out I could then go down and drain it into the storm line that I have about 2 ft above the floor like a clean out.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #10

Thank you for your help/suggestions. I rented a pump from home depot which worked great. I'm just finishing up washing down the basement and then I will finally be done.