Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

260' water line

Hi all, I am building pole barn and running one 3/4" water line from house for a hose bib, about 260'. Please advise on what pipe to use (blue, black- not sure exact name, pvc), how deep to bury and anything else a newbie might need to know. I plan on tying in underneath house and having a shut off valve. I am in South Carolina. I did pull permit and will be inspected, Thanks

Last edited by ugabulldog; 12-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

260' water line

Thats a long run of piping. I would ask, since you are pulling a permit, what the options are and what they consider to be the best. If you use sections of pipe, you are talking at least 13 joints underground. I would see what is offered in rolled tubing. I don't know what your "frost level" is but that would determine the depth. I would also consider what backfill you are going to use. You probably want sand to protect the pipe from rocks and other things that may damage it with ground movement.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #3

260' water line

With such a long run I would not go any smaller than a 3/4 inch. Maybe even 1 inch if you predict lot so water usage.

I love pex. You can buy it on one length in most of the smaller sizes. The advantage of one run is there is less chance of a leaky joint.

Pex can also survive freezing should that ever happen and is less affected by roots than PVC/CPVC.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Water quality'n pump guy

260' water line

The best and IMO only choice is that blue or black PE (polyethylene) pipe you mentioned. You can usually buy it in 100, 200, 300 and 500' coils with ratings of 75, 100, 125, 160 and 200 psi.

It should be one piece of 1" 160 psi rated. You should be able to buy it at any pump or plumbing supply house. You should keep it off sharp rocks and them off it but simply back fill it in the trench allowing it to wind from side to side in the trench. You can unroll it along the side of the trench, right into the trench.

PE is IPS (iron pipe size) and PEX is smaller CTS (copper tubing size) so you get much more water through PE than the same size PEX. IPS maintains the ID, PEX the OD. PE also costs less than PEX. PE is as freeze 'proof' as PEX. PE has been used underground for 40+ years and to hang submersible pumps on in wells to 500'.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote