Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Share |

2" PVC in 2x4 Exterior Wall?

Is it possible to run 2" PVC through a 2x4 exterior load bearing wall? Specifically, can it be run through the top and bottom plates, if not the vertical studs? If not, are there any mechanical reinforcements that can be used to allow it?

Thanks!

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

you can strap the plates with steel, but it is an extremely bad plan to run pluming (no room for insulation) in an exterior wall.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

I know it is less than optimal, fortunately it is only 1 vent pipe and nothing else. The this is an addition onto a brick rowhouse, so the 2 interior walls are brick.

So, code-wise I can get away with a 2" pvc running vertically through a 2x4 wall, as long as I use straps on the top and bottom plates?

That is great news. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

it's moves like this that we should not allow DIY work done on a house unless everything is documented so someone else buying the house knows it has been hacked to death and no longer works properly.

DO NOT DO THIS!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #5

Is it against code? That was my initial question and your answer seemed to indicate it was possible.

Are plumbing vents not allowed to be run in exterior walls?

Again, in my current situation there are no interior walls available to run the vent through. With a little more effort I can run it through a 2x6 exterior wall, but it seems like in your opinion that's no better.

I really, really resent the insinuation that I am hacking my house to death. I have posted question after question in these forums to ensure that I am doing things correctly. I've hired an architect to design the addition and a structural engineer sign off on them. I am doing the work myself because I enjoy it and specifically because I don't want my housed "hacked to death." I appreciate the help you offer here Bob, but honestly, you made a huge and inappropriate leap with this one. And for what it is worth, there are plenty of licensed, bonded and insured remodeling contractors out there that do crappier work than the average homeowner, should we document all work done by anyone, anywhere?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

my biggest concern would be how little plate is left if this wall carries the roof and not another floor, you have potential for a hinge /stress point there. is a floor on this or a roof
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #7

There is a floor above this and then a roof above that, but the floor joists and the roof joists do not bear on this wall. This wall basically only carries its own weight.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

it would help. Especially since building inspectors rarely do their jobs and home inspectors that you hire when you buy a home do even less. I have done over $400,000 in work this year on repairs to unsuspecting homeowners that had inspections and still get screwed.

Issues:
how are you going to protect this plastic pipe from someone driving a nail from the outside while installing new siding?
How are you going to get the code requirement of R-13 insulation value? (now you have a code violation)
What did you plan to use to air seal these penetrations?
Are you using the code required fire barrier caulking at the plate penetrations?
When you go thru the roof it must be 3"... Is this planned?
What strap material do you know to use for the required steel thickness?
What length is needed for this strap?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

Bob- I get it, really I do, my house was flipped before we moved in and we've had nothing but problems since... a bit part of the reason I do work myself now; I don't trust others so much. So, I get the dangers that can come from bad work. That is why I am here... and that's why I am here before I start the work, rather than after the drywall is up and painted, like so many others.

So, it seems like running the vent over to the 2x6 wall could actually help a little bit, no? At least with some of the issues you've raised below.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #10

pretty sure these are some of his questions
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

yes that will help. A vent only you will get away with. As mentioned verify all the other issues I mentioned also. Use spray foam around the vent pipe to avoid condensation buildup. Cold air is moving thru this pipe. In you 2X4 wall with most likely improper air sealing in the house you will get too much condensation on this cold cramped pipe.

Glad to hear you will take the time to do it right.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #12

Thanks TPolk, you're right... and thanks Bob, I really appreciate your experience. I wouldn't be doing any of this correctly were it not like folks like you.

So, I can use batt insulation (roxul) in the wall, as long as I spary around the penetrations?

Is any strapping necessary if I run through the 2x6 wall?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

yes it still must be strapped.

Roxul will not get you enough insulation around the pipe.

Spray foam is for the pipe. Fire barrier caulk is required for all penetrations between floors.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #14

Ok, I am spray foaming some of the walls, but was planning on doing roxul in the 2x6. Can I do spray foam around the pipe and then roxul in the rest of the stud cavity? Or just spray foam the whole cavity?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

your method will work fine.