2 1/2" Copper Drain Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

2 1/2" copper drain line

pulling my hair out here. Want to extend a drain line that right now ends in a cleanout. I'm just moving a sink a few feet to the left. Venting and pitch will all be good. Simple enough I just need a threaded male adapter, right? Wrong.
Been to two plumbing supply stores- good ones- and the they all offer me an adapter with coarse threads, my cleanout cap has fine threads.

They look at me like I am crazy, am I?

If I can't add on through the cleanout I need to do a whole lot more work than I want.

Google search has been fruitless so far.

Advertisement

fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,212

2 1/2" copper drain line

Use a Fernco coupling.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

2 1/2" copper drain line

it is female, can't use a fernco. worse comes to worst I will have to cut out the old work completely and redo it all with pvc, trying to avoid that.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

2 1/2" copper drain line

Never heard of a fine threaded plumbing part of any kind.
Copper drains are going to start leaking along the bottom of the pipe anyway at some time so nothing to lose by replacing with PVC.
Got a picture of what it is your trying to do?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

2 1/2" copper drain line

here is a picture of the cleanout with the cap on, and if I do this right the picture beneath it will be the cap leaning up against the fitting I bought to show the difference in the threads.2 1/2" copper drain line-2012-11-15_18-55-44_23.jpg2 1/2" copper drain line-2012-11-15_18-56-23_793.jpg

If I have to I can cut back to the PVC but then I'm messing with the vent and the other drain. It would be miles easier just to run into the end of this pipe.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,604

2 1/2" copper drain line

You won't find that thread count in a plastic male adpt- but I guess you know that by now.
Why not tie into the 3" on the left?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #7

2 1/2" copper drain line

I couldn't find it in copper either which is what was odd. My counter guy told me I was crazy today which is why I am going back tomorrow with the cap.

To the left is 2" from the master bath shower. I could dump into there but I'd have to go through the joist to get there.

My most likely solution will be to just cut the cleanout/tee out altogether and put a fernco and then a new PVC tee. I just will need to relocate the pipe hanger to the other side of the vent stack while I am doing it.

The lazy person in me just wants to hook into the end of the pipe!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

2 1/2" copper drain line

what's wrong with getting a pvc female adapter and using the outside threads???

i have never seen a pvc male adapter with internal threads. looks like someone just found something they could make work.

what's up with that joint just past the 3 inch tee? is that epoxy putty around it?

Last edited by DannyT; 11-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 632

2 1/2" copper drain line

Where that putty is looks to me like someone use SCH 20 for part of it and used the putty to make up for the gap when it switched over to SCH 40.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,044

2 1/2" copper drain line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred54 View Post
pulling my hair out here. Want to extend a drain line that right now ends in a cleanout. I'm just moving a sink a few feet to the left. Venting and pitch will all be good. Simple enough I just need a threaded male adapter, right? Wrong.
Been to two plumbing supply stores- good ones- and the they all offer me an adapter with coarse threads, my cleanout cap has fine threads.

They look at me like I am crazy, am I?

If I can't add on through the cleanout I need to do a whole lot more work than I want.

Google search has been fruitless so far.
" If you don't have an acount or are a licensed Plummer or they don't know you they treat you with disrespect and charge you much higher prices. They don't like dealing with Non Pros in supply houses I know been in the business 45 years and still don't like supply houses. The guys that work there think they are (parts God) try to stay out of there if you can, they are intimidating". On a good note they do protect Business people".
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #11

2 1/2" copper drain line

looks like it is made of unobtanium. Tried to match it up today in person and we couldn't do it.
I am going to cut out all of the old work back to the PVC and make it all match. The only thing I will leave is the copper vent and I will fernco that in.

Looking at the picture made me realize that I need to neaten up the wiring while I'm at it.

Thanks for the help though.

Advertisement