Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

1940s house plumbing

Hi everybody!

I've just bought a house which turned to be the broken ship built in 1950... Of course, I made all possible mistakes including not having an inspection . Now I found that the 1/2 of the basement is wet with rotten 2x4s and lots of mold (this part of the basement is finished with old wooden panels, subfloor, asbestos tiles and carpet on top!. I need to rip everything organic off , clean mold and waterproof the basement. The basement walls are cement blocks, huge (9'x1.5') window is leaking with cracks around it, no window wells and the grading outside towards the house. All water from the street goes directly in to the house. Now you see my nightmare.

I don' even know with what to start. I don't know if the house had weeping tiles. So, I am looking into installing them. The guy who came to make an estimate told me that they will put weeping tiles and connect them to the sump pump that they will install in the basement. Is it the right thing to do? Why do I need sump pump? In my basement I have a washing machine that discharges water directly to a tube in the floor (which, I guess, is aimed to get rid of water in the basement). Do you know if this tube is supposed to go to the street sewer, and if yes, why my wiping tiles cannot be directed to the same sewer instead of the sump pump?

Thanks!!!

michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,148

1940s house plumbing

It sounds to me like you have some significant issues that cannot be addressed without a personal site visit from a knowledgeable professional. Even if you post lots of pictures, I doubt this forum can begin to address the difficult issues you face, and advise you on where to begin, how to allocate your resources intelligently, and what types of contractors you are going to need to go forward. Since you never had an inspection, my recommendation would be to hire a professional engineer to go over your house in detail, advise you on priorities, estimate the cost to make the needed repairs, and assist you in bidding the projects.

Alternatively, you can go forward attempting to address your issues one by one yourself, hiring the appropriate contractor as you go. The problem with that approach is you seem to have multiple issues, and without deep background in construction (and I am assuming you don't have such background or you would have noticed these problems before you bought the house) you are unlikely to address the problems in the correct sequence.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

1940s house plumbing

And where is it your seeing rotted 2 X 4's in this basement? If it's in the floor support system above then that's on more thing to address. 2 X 4's are not even close to the right size for floor joist.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

1940s house plumbing

start with some grading/landscaping to divert water away from house
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,110

1940s house plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
start with some grading/landscaping to divert water away from house
Ayuh,... Exactly,.... Divert the water, 'n Stop it...
Then worry 'bout the rest of yer problems....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,036

1940s house plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan
I don't know if the house had weeping tiles. So, I am looking into installing them. The guy who came to make an estimate told me that they will put weeping tiles and connect them to the sump pump that they will install in the basement. Is it the right thing to do? Why do I need sump pump?
The purpose of weeping tiles (aka a French drain) is to collect water, not dissipate water, even though it may succeed in dissipating small amounts of water during dry weather. Once the water is collected it has to go somewhere, hence the mention of a pit (sump) with a sump pump.

It is possible for weeping tiles to become clogged with dirt that gradually came in with the water being collected. This may mean having to redo the weeping tile system.

In many cities it is illegal to dispose of rain water or ground water (usually far more voluminous than human and household waste) via the sewer system. This can and has overwhelmed sewage treatment plants and caused discharge of sewage with partial or hardly any treatment into rivers.

* Sump: A low point where liquid is collected and then pumped out. It could also be the oil pan of an engine or the reservoir of a recirculating water fountain.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-11-2011 at 07:20 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote