Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Share |

1900s Faucet Leaking

Hi all,

Below is a picture of the faucets on our bathtub. About a month ago one of them started leaking (not sure which because there is a common outlet). The hot pipe isn't hot, so I don't think it's the hot side, but it's only 2 drips per second, so it might not be leaking enough to allow the water to stay hot. I tried turning the handles as much as I can, but I can't stop the leak.

I'm fairly handy with tools, but I'm nervous about taking these apart...we use this bathroom every night. I'm pretty sure this plumbing is from the early 1900s. The house was build in 1837. I checked the basement, and there are copper pipes (hot and cold) and Black PVC drain pipe running up the wall where this bathroom is, but I don't know where it makes the transition between copper and this galvanized steel that you see...must be somewhere...but I'm not keen on ripping apart walls and/or the bathroom floor to see what's going on.

Even if I can get these taken apart, is there any place to purchase repair parts?

Suggestions?

Thanks, all. This is a great site.

johnlaplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

1900s Faucet Leaking

this unit has the old standard bibb screw and washer....be very careful the part under the tub rim is where it comes apart..remove handle and escheon then take lower unit apart.....careful careful...only good thing looks to be in very good shape should come apart easily....

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-22-2011 at 08:20 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #3

1900s Faucet Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing
this unit has the old standard bibb screw and washer....be very careful the part under the tub rim is where it comes apart..remove handle and escheon then take lower unit apart.....careful careful...only good thing looks to be in very good shape should come apart easily....
Thanks! Assuming I can get the valve apart, what should I replace...and where can I get parts? Will the Home Depot have parts to use or should I take this picture to a plumbing supply house?

Appreciate your quick response...also, I noticed that you are only an hour from me...do you travel up to Youngstown? Send me a PM with an answer.
johnlaplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
DIY staff

1900s Faucet Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlaplante View Post
Thanks! Assuming I can get the valve apart, what should I replace...and where can I get parts? Will the Home Depot have parts to use or should I take this picture to a plumbing supply house?

Appreciate your quick response...also, I noticed that you are only an hour from me...do you travel up to Youngstown? Send me a PM with an answer.
You PM privileges don't work till you hit 20 posts----start welcoming new members!

I suggest an OLD established plumbing supply co---

Two items might need to be replace---on the stem will be a rubber washer,held with a screw---these are often sold in an assorted box.

the other is the seat----that rubber washer presses against a hole in the bottom of the valve body----

That hole was a removable 'seat' --(they can get pits along the edge that will eat up the washer or cause a drip)

The seat threads in to the valve body using a common Alan Wrench--
ben's plumbing (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
DIY staff

1900s Faucet Leaking

You will want a roll of 'packing' this goes under the cap nut---looks like gray string covered with soft stuff--

An old time plumbing supply house will walk you through the work and make sure you don't forget something like the packing.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
DIY staff

1900s Faucet Leaking

Google 'bib screw and washer'--images---lots of pictures---How To Fix Seven Types Of Leaky Faucets | Wet Head Media

I pull this from a search---didn't read it---just thought the picture might be useful.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

1900s Faucet Leaking

john sorry for not getting back.....but as you can see good oh mike got you covered...follow his advice right on the money.....thanks ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
DIY staff

1900s Faucet Leaking

Thank you Ben--I don't encounter antique fixtures very often---so please keep an eye on this --your knowledge surpasses mine on this one.