Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

14 inch tank on a 12 inch bowl?

I am not a contractor nor a DIY'er, however I have searched high and low for some guidance and have not been able to find an answer. My wife and I gut remodeled and older home (not us but contractors). Yesterday our plumber installed the toilets in three of the four bathrooms. He purchased AS Cadet 3 toilets with a 12 inch rough in. The toilets tanks are 3 to 31/2 inches off the wall. I understand it was an older house and the plumber explained that the drain (probably wrong term from me) was between 13 to 14 inches so he did 12 inch rough since 14 would be too large. I also understand that AS Cadets have an issue with having a shallow tank. Here is my question. His proposed fix was to change out the 12 inch tanks and put on 14 inch tanks and leave the bowl the same. Any pro's of this solution and any possible con's. The tanks will still be and 1 inch to 1.5 inches off the wall which is not ideal but workable. Thanks for any comments...

jimmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

Measure from the wall to the bolts that hold the toilet to the floor and you will know the rough-in size for the toilets. I really think there will be issues with interchanging the tanks. Basically, since there will still be a large space behind the tank to the wall, you have not "solved" any problems. This will allow movement if someone leans back while using the toilet, and could break the tank or the bowl. You may be stuck with installing a support board behind the toilet to prevent this.

Last edited by majakdragon; 10-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

I am in agreement with the above post because going to a 14" tank will not change the distance from the wall and the commode may not preform as the manufacturer intends. If you have 3.5 inches with a 12 inch rough in commode you will have 1.5 inches with a 14 in rough in commode. Have the plumber install the correct commode. Unless it is a special commode there is not much difference in price.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote