Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

10 year old well upgrade

I have a ten year old well 240' deep with a Franklin submersible pump. It has a Well Rite 140 OLC pressure tank and a Square D pressure switch. 250' to house, 125' of 1' then 125' of 3/4". It averages 8 GPM; pressure gauge reads 30lb when pump is on. Pressure has always fluctuated with poor pressure at the house.
Pump will run out of water if you run it for more than 30 minutes. Water is undrinkable, leaves buildup on all faucets, shower heads, toilets etc. Hot water heater, washer and dishwasher average 3 years before replacement.
I now have the budget to upgrade the system but, not the budget to pay to have it done. I plan to install a 550 gallon holding tank and reduce the flow to the tank in hopes of not running the well out of water. Then install a jet pump to increase the house pressure and hopefully stop the fluctuating pressures. I have spoken to two plumbing suppliers and have two different ideas on how to set it up.
I made a drawing of the last guy's idea but I'm not sure if I got everything laid out the way he explained it to me or if all the accessories are correct and in the right places.
A couple things I'm not sure of:
He said I would need an UP float valve and a DOWN float valve?
I'm assuming the pressure switch at the submersible pump controls it. What turns on the Jet Pump or is there a certain type of jet pump required?
http://eepurl.com/c9vg
Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
BJ

bjhaffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Master Plumber Lon

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to lonsplumbing

10 year old well upgrade

First before up grading check all fittings and filters for plugs

lonsplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,088

10 year old well upgrade

Quote:
What turns on the Jet Pump or is there a certain type of jet pump required?
Ayuh,... You'll need another pressure switch at that tank/ pump....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,046

10 year old well upgrade

If the well pump is piped directly to the tank, two floats, a relay, and a box to put it in will work. The floats can be easily adjusted to turn the well pump on and off at any tank level desired.

A timer could also be incorporated into the control system that would turn the well pump off after a set amount of time, then turn it back on after another set amount of time.

Better yet, if a valve were installed in the well pump line near the tank, and set to maintain some pressure (about 20 PSI or so), a pressure switch could be installed somewhere between the well and the valve. If the well runs dry, the pressure will drop, and the pressure switch will turn the well pump off until the lower float calls for the tank to be filled again. The upper float will always turn the well pump off.

I realize that this sounds complicated, it's actually pretty simple. If you understand what a normally open and normally closed contact is, and you but the right parts, you can hook this up yourself (with a bit of help from any of about 1/2 dozen guys around here).

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

10 year old well upgrade

Thanks Micromind.
The valve you mentioned on the well pump line prior to the tank, is that a pressure valve of some type or a butterfly valve?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

10 year old well upgrade

What is the recovery rate of your well? Any clue?

What you should have is a submersible pump in your well, wired through a pumptec pump protection (in case your well runs dry it will shut the pump off by sensing the electrical load on the pump motor) and to a pump up (not sure why you would actually need two?) float switch in the storage tank. From there you can run a submersible pump in the tank (or a jetpump on the outside from the bottom outlet) set up the same way your current system is.... pressure tank, pressure switch.....

OR if your house elevation is lower than the storage tank you can just use a grundfos MQ booster pump at the house (no pressure tank or switch required, this is an all in one unit)

If the water is undrinkable you'll need to do a water sample, and send it off to a company that will reccomend a solution to you.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,046

10 year old well upgrade

Any type of valve would work. All it needs to do is cause some backpressure when the well pump is pumping water. When the well runs dry, the water flow stops, and the backpressure goes down to zero.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

10 year old well upgrade

It's a really good practice to NEVER EVER put filters, valves, or anything else that could restrict flow between the pump and its on/off mechanism. These kinds of devices cause the pump to work too hard and can shorten their life, not to mention if a tree or limb falls onto your 'valve' and shuts it off, your pump will continue to run until it is dead.

A pumptec is the best solution for slow recovery wells. If you're worried about the well going dry, you need one.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Water quality'n pump guy

Rewards Points: 250

10 year old well upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhaffly View Post
I have a ten year old well 240' deep with a Franklin submersible pump. It has a Well Rite 140 OLC pressure tank and a Square D pressure switch. 250' to house, 125' of 1' then 125' of 3/4". It averages 8 GPM; pressure gauge reads 30lb when pump is on. Pressure has always fluctuated with poor pressure at the house.
Pump will run out of water if you run it for more than 30 minutes.

Water is undrinkable, leaves buildup on all faucets, shower heads, toilets etc. Hot water heater, washer and dishwasher average 3 years before replacement.

I now have the budget to upgrade the system but, not the budget to pay to have it done. I plan to install a 550 gallon holding tank and reduce the flow to the tank in hopes of not running the well out of water. Then install a jet pump to increase the house pressure and hopefully stop the fluctuating pressures.
You probably have a pump with a Franklin motor because up until jus ta couple years ago, Franklin didn't make pumps, just motors.

Your 125' of 3/4 " pipe is a big restrictive problem. That need to go to 1".

It sounds as if you are running out of water in the well. You may be able to drop the pump lower in the well to solve the problem. If so you may need a larger pump. So you need to know how deep the pump is and the hp and gpm of the pump you have.

A cistern (atmospheric storage tank ) usually causes water quality problems and the need to clean and sanitize the tank from time to time. That can be something once done, you'll never want to do it again. So the tank has to allow you (or skinny her!) to get in it to clean and sanitize it.

So in most cases you will need water treatment equipment based on the water quality as it leaves this tank. In most cases, depending on how much of what is in the water, you should not treat the water as it goes into the tank.

You control the well pump with a float switch or float valve using the pump's present pressure tank and switch or just a float switch.

If a float switch is used for the well pump, you can use the present pressure switch and tank for the jet pump (or a 1/2 hp 10-13 gpm submersible pump in the tank, a much better choice) needed to repressurize for the house.

Of course you need 1-2 float switches to control the jet or sub pump for the house too so you don't pump this tank dry and ruin the pump.

I would not go with a cistern unless there was absolutely no other choice. They can be a real PITA, and they can get worse over time.

So get water tests for iron, hardness, pH and Coliform bacteria at least before you do anything.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #10

10 year old well upgrade

Thanks guys,
I just recieved sample bottles for water testing in the mail yesterday. Will get that done before I start tearing out the present set up. I moved it all over 10' though so I could build a new well house. I'm looking forward to MAYBE being able to drink my water, have been carrying water for 10 years.

I'm gathering information now so I'll know what I need to purchase and the best set up and of course price.

Where do you get a Pumptec?