1" Copper Vs 3/4" Copper - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

1" copper vs 3/4" copper

I recently replaced my shallow well jet pump and well tank with new ones. The old was 1/2hp and 34gal tank with 1" plastic into the pump and 3/4 copper out. The new one is 3/4hp and 44gal tank with 1" plastic into the pump and 1" copper out to the tank and 1" out of the tank till within about 6" of the main line where it was reduced to 3/4" which is what the main feed is to the rest of the house.I use alot of water and was thinking having the 1" as far as possible is better than having 3/4 " right from the pump to the main line.
Is having the 1" better than having 3/4" or does it not matter?

Advertisement

Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

1" copper vs 3/4" copper

In a residential setting, 3/4 is usually big enough, but 1" definitely flows more water at a given pressure than 3/4. And running the main inlet diameter as close to the final destination as possible is best. Easy to do when building the house, difficult after the fact. Most fixtures take 1/2 or smaller pipe.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

1" copper vs 3/4" copper

3/4" copper will handle just about all a 3/4HP shallow well pump can produce.

Almost all houses less than 1500 sq.ft. I've been around have had 3/4" services, whether from a well or city water.

If you're concerned, and have access, run 1" to the tee that feeds the water heater, then 3/4" after that. A lot of usage in a house is both hot and cold, and this keeps the flow rate (in FPM) a bit more even.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

1" copper vs 3/4" copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbvoltage View Post
I recently replaced my shallow well jet pump and well tank with new ones. The old was 1/2hp and 34gal tank with 1" plastic into the pump and 3/4 copper out. The new one is 3/4hp and 44gal tank with 1" plastic into the pump and 1" copper out to the tank and 1" out of the tank till within about 6" of the main line where it was reduced to 3/4" which is what the main feed is to the rest of the house.I use alot of water and was thinking having the 1" as far as possible is better than having 3/4 " right from the pump to the main line.
Is having the 1" better than having 3/4" or does it not matter?
I have a 3/4" supply line from the city, that is standard in the city, I've even seen just a 3/4" supply line in a 7,000+ sqft home, which seemed very undersized.

I did a lot of landscaping and gardening work this summer, and often wished I had access to more water. If I run 2 hoses, on both the front spigot and the back one, I would not have enough water to even allow the toilet valve to open and fill.

If there is any chance you will want to irrigate, I would not hessitate in running 1" or 1-1/4". I recently studied how much gas could travel in a given size pipe for adding to my gas pipe system, and there is a very large increase in the volume of gas 1" can carry vs 3/4", The same formula should apply to water.

Also the cost of going up a size or two in pipe is very low in most cases.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote