Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

1/4 turn shutoff valve

placed one between the shower pipe and the shower head. Did this because the cold water knob leaks causing shower head to drip. Otherwise, need to cut into wall to replace the cold knob. I did this 10 years before for my home and it works to stop the shower head from dripping because of the leaky water knob. However, I just did it again for a friend and the newly purchased 1/4 turn shut off valve leaks. So, I brought it back to the plumbing store and got a refund. they tell me that law now requires these to drip to stop from scolding ppl. This true?

p

paulmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

1/4 turn shutoff valve

How could that be true?
If I install one for my toilet, then remove the toilet for repairs .... do you think it would or should drip?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 16

1/4 turn shutoff valve

What a line of bull---Good thing he doesn't sell electrical switches that 'leak' a little power!
gregzoll (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
What a line of bull---Good thing he doesn't sell electrical switches that 'leak' a little power!

I'm tellin' ya, it's got something to do with the orange apron.....
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 6

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Ok Guys take it easy here, they make a 1/4 turn valve that is to be used as a diverter stop type devise that you can shut off a shower head to direct flow to a hand held shower head. those valves per code can not shut the flow 100% these are after market adaptable stops and are specific for shower use. what they avoid is hot water left on,, shower head off, Mr idiot goes to take a shower forgets only hot is on, turns shower head on and presto.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Why would not have fixed what was wrong instead of adding a valve?
The controls are repair on the tub side of the wall not the back side.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Javiles, the first thing a person is going to do when getting into the shower, is adjust the water temp to their liking. If no flow, they will turn off the water, and try again. Usually after the third try, they got the Homer Simpson Duh moment, and turn the valve at the shower head.

What adding the shutoff at the shower head was orig. intended for, was conserving water. It started in the U.S. Navy as a way for sailors to get wet, shut the water off, soap & shampoo up, flip the lever back on to rinse, then shut the water off at the valves, not the shutoff. Every now and then, you would get one or two that would forget to shut the water off, and leave the valve closed at the shower head.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

1/4 turn shutoff valve

I think the poster is referring to one of those water saver shutoffs for the shower head which are designed to drip...instead of a true 1/4 turn shutoff
Attached Images

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 6

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Joe / Greg don't shot the messenger, i agree but the fact is that people do things that challenge common sense, and i have personally seen homeowners use a stop on a shower head as there master control why?? beats me but people do. this one customer had a 2 handle older shower valve he stated that this way he did not have to adjust the water every time he went to shower??

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

1/4 turn shutoff valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I think the poster is referring to one of those water saver shutoffs for the shower head which are designed to drip...instead of a true 1/4 turn shutoff
Yeah, this is what I thought the OP was referring to as well, but I agree with Joe; the optimal solution is to repair the faulty valve, which you can do without cutting the wall, and for very little if any more than adding unnecessary hardware.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote