Is 1/2" CPVC Too Restrictive? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is 1/2" CPVC too restrictive?

Recently purchased a new (to me) house. It was originally built in 1955. Between then and now the previous owner redid 90% of the plumbing.

I recently overseeded my lawn and to my surprise, I do not have enough flow to run even 2 small impact sprinklers. The second sprinkler will only squirt out water 6" and won't rotate.

Upon further investigation, the main water line coming in goes through the meter and regulator, and right after that goes from 3/4" to 1/2". Then it splits off, with a 1/2" line going to my water heater and then the other 1/2" goes off to supply the rest of my cold water circuit.

I'm fortunate enough that most of the fixtures that I'd care about pressure about (basically everything except the toilets) are relatively close to each other, and are easily accessible. So replumbing it all wouldn't cost too much.... but the question is would I gain by replacing it with 3/4" or do I have an internal restriction elsewhere?

Advertisement

danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Recently purchased a new (to me) house. It was originally built in 1955. Between then and now the previous owner redid 90% of the plumbing.

I recently overseeded my lawn and to my surprise, I do not have enough flow to run even 2 small impact sprinklers. The second sprinkler will only squirt out water 6" and won't rotate.

Upon further investigation, the main water line coming in goes through the meter and regulator, and right after that goes from 3/4" to 1/2". Then it splits off, with a 1/2" line going to my water heater and then the other 1/2" goes off to supply the rest of my cold water circuit.

I'm fortunate enough that most of the fixtures that I'd care about pressure about (basically everything except the toilets) are relatively close to each other, and are easily accessible. So replumbing it all wouldn't cost too much.... but the question is would I gain by replacing it with 3/4" or do I have an internal restriction elsewhere?
running 3/4 pipe will get you more volume ..I would run 3/4 to hot water tank..3/4 as far as you can on cold water side branching off with 1/2" to fixtures..with out see layout I would also run 3/4 to sprinklers.....make sure pressure regulator it working..ben

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Plumbers use sizing tables based on delivery pressure, fixture demand, etc. But as a rule of thumb- no more then 2 fixtures on a 1/2" line. 3/4" to and out the water heater.
You should check your pressure too- 60lbs is about right
ben's plumbing (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
running 3/4 pipe will get you more volume ..I would run 3/4 to hot water tank..3/4 as far as you can on cold water side branching off with 1/2" to fixtures..with out see layout I would also run 3/4 to sprinklers.....make sure pressure regulator it working..ben
I like how you think Ben
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I like how you think Ben
same here ... great minds think alike.....
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I'm glad I'm not a total idiot.... that was actually the general way I was thinking of running it all.

So running the entire house (fwiw, 2 sinks, 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 spickets) off a main reduced down to 1/2 = .... correct?
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I'm glad I'm not a total idiot.... that was actually the general way I was thinking of running it all.

So running the entire house (fwiw, 2 sinks, 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 spickets) off a main reduced down to 1/2 = .... correct?
yep..need more volume..if you run 3/4 to water heater..make sure you run 3/4 out from hot side as far as you can again branching off with 1/2 to fixtures....adding some 3/4 will help alot...

Advertisement