Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

1/2" to 3/4" inlet

Hello,

I had a previous post about a tub/shower with a diverter. I'm currently leaning towards using Kohler, however had a question.

Their "rite temp" valve comes in 1/2" and 3/4". I would be using 1/2" as I have 1/2" piping running in the hot/cold. Presumably since this valve has both tub and shower outlets, I am going to cap one of them (I've read to cap the shower and use the larger flow tub outlet, hopefully this is correct).

Now, my question/problem, is in using their 3-outlet diverter valve. This diverter valve is an A,B,C use, no combination which is what I want (only one thing at a time). It has 1/2" outlet ports which is good, however, it has a 3/4" inlet port. I for the life of me can't find a kohler diverter that has a 1/2" inlet...

Question: How do I go from the 1/2" outlet of the Rite Temp pressure balance valve, to a 3/4" inlet of the diverter? Can I just use a size adapter, or will that have negative effects on flow/volume/pressure? I've attached a rough drawing below of what I want to do.

Secondary - is there a better way to do this? Use a pressure balance with a built in diverter? then a two output diverter or seperate volume controls for shower head and handheld? This involves more messing around with controls than I'd like but if it's better I'm game.
Attached Thumbnails
1/2" to 3/4" inlet-tub-shower.png  

CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

1/2" to 3/4" inlet

I read this twice and am still confused--sorry---

Post a link to the instructions please---

Are you using a tub mixer for a shower head only?

plummen (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #3

1/2" to 3/4" inlet

Sorry Oh'Mike, tried to be clear!

Ok, it is a tub with a shower. I would like to have 3 options. 1. The Tub 2. A fixed wall mounted shower head. 3. A (Seperate) wall mounted handheld shower, mounted lower mostly for cleaning or bathing children, etc.

The goal was to have a diverter (or transfer) valve to select between the 3 options. I don't need any of them to work simultaneously.

As of right now, I"m looking at Kohler. (but open to suggestion. Quite a few people recommended Delta in another thread).

Here is a link to the Pressure Balance Valve. As nice as thermostatic would be, it's more complicated and more costly, so think I'm just going run of the mil..

General:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...prod_num=304-K
Guide:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1110626_2.pdf

THat is a link to the 1/2" inlet and outlet version. THey have a HIgh flow version as well, that is 3/4" inlet and outlet, but I only have 1/2" supply to the bathroom.

Here is a link to the Diverter valve I was thinking about.

General Link:
http://www.kohler.ca/onlinecatalog/d...prod_num=737-K
Guide:
http://www.kohler.ca/onlinecatalog/pdf/1173682_2.pdf

You'll notice that the diverter has a 3/4" inlet port (with 3 1/2" outlet ports).

That is my basic question, as I can't find a kohler diverter that has a 1/2" inlet. So when piping the copper from the outlet of the pressure balance valve, to the inlet of the diverter valve, can I use a copper 1/2" to 3/4" adapter? Or will that mess up pressure or flow or volume or anything?

Secondary question is if anyone has done anything similar, what parts they recommend? Or alternative methods?

Probably still as clear as mud....

Charlie
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

1/2" to 3/4" inlet

Oh one other thing.

You'll also notice that the pressure balance valve has 2 outlets... typically 1 for the tub spout and 1 for the shower head. I've read you can cap one and only use one (which is what I'd like to do), and also read that it's better to cap the *shower* intended one and use the *tub* intended one to feed the diverter because typically it handles more flow...?
Just looking for confirmation on what to do there as well.....
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

1/2" to 3/4" inlet

You can use 1/2" feed to the diverter---It's will make no difference plugging the bottom or top outlet on the mixer valve as far as I know---

Have you looked at Delta---I believe they have a mixer with the diverter built in---