Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Dorf dude...

Share |

Wood worm treatment

I have a real bad case of wood worms. Most of the beams have already been cut up for firewood. There are a few I need to use over and are in pretty good shape but have been eaten into a little bit. I have read that Borax based treatments or Linseed oil works well, I want to stay green and cheap. Is the Borax that they sell for laundry in the grocery store a type of treatment? How well does Linseed work? I have looked on the net but wanted some feedback here. Thanks for following along. Scott Shumaker aka SHU

Old 07-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Wood worm treatment

Hi Shu
I am not sure if there is a green way to get rid of wood worms.Wood worms are a larva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworm
With that being said,I have had good luck with a product named Bora Care.It is a great product.I have used it on my log home.Powder post beetles and old house borers is what I was targeting.To date I have no chewing sounds and have found quite a few large and small beetles that this product has killed.This product is a brush and leave on product.It will turn your wood a milky white.Then after it has been on for a few months I washed it off.Easy on and easy off.I can not say any thing about Linseed oil other than I have used it with pigents for decks and rails.Hope this was of some help. Here is a link http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com Since you are from Europe I am not to sure where you would find it.But I am sure you can. Again Good Luck to You.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Dorf dude...

Wood worm treatment

That Bora Care sounds just what Borax would do, go on milky white and wash off. I would say the "Bora" in the name stands for Borax. I have some time to keep coating the beams before I actually get them in a closed house. Thanks for the links. I find borax based and refined products but nobody actually comes out and says that normal off the shelf "cheap" borax is the same or is going to work. They might want you to buy their product. I guess I will have to try it because I can't afford the expensive stuff. Once the treatment is done then I will seal the beams with Linseed Oil. I will give my ideas a try and post the results. Thanks, SHU
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #4

Wood worm treatment

Bora Care has 40% Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate
borax = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

So I would "guess" your right on the money. I always learn some thing when I post in here. Thank you Shu for making me have a look see. Borax off the shelf is a far cry less expensive than Bora Care.Seems like a Salt solutin might as well work to.Lots of Sodium......lol

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #5

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
I have a real bad case of wood worms. Most of the beams have already been cut up for firewood. There are a few I need to use over and are in pretty good shape but have been eaten into a little bit. I have read that Borax based treatments or Linseed oil works well, I want to stay green and cheap. Is the Borax that they sell for laundry in the grocery store a type of treatment? How well does Linseed work? I have looked on the net but wanted some feedback here. Thanks for following along. Scott Shumaker aka SHU
Hello shumakerscott,
Can you refer me to a shop near to Basel/German border where I might be able to buy BORAX ?
I would like to get a few litres or make a few litres of this with water etc. I Have quite a lot of wood that are being attacked by these worms

Thanks
Bern Switzerland
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
the Musigician

Wood worm treatment

hi dorf dude....
20 mule team borax right from the laundry section is what you want, yup.
i'd add some 99% boric acid (roach/ant/bug killer powder) to the mix too.

happy hunting!

DM
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Dorf dude...

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Hello shumakerscott,
Can you refer me to a shop near to Basel/German border where I might be able to buy BORAX ?
I would like to get a few litres or make a few litres of this with water etc. I Have quite a lot of wood that are being attacked by these worms

Thanks
Bern Switzerland
I get mine from the store on the Army Base here. I have not seen it "On the Economy" I have not looked very hard either because I knew where to get it. In America it is used as a washing powder. As of yet I have not done my beams with it. I need to get other things finished first. See "German House Rebuild". Dorf Dude...

Last edited by shumakerscott; 05-03-2009 at 03:21 PM.
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
I get mine from the store on the Army Base here. I have not seen it "On the Economy" I have not looked very hard either because I knew where to get it. In America it is used as a washing powder. As of yet I have not done my beams with it. I need to get other things finished first. See "German House Rebuild". Dorf Dude...
Hi shumakerscott,

Thanks for the initial info.
Did you buy the BORAX in a box with a brand name?
Any suggestion how I could start searching for it?
Would greatly appreciate more help leading to where I can buy it. Could you also tell me the price per a certain quantity? Honestly speaking I am quite desperate with my house condition.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Dorf dude...

Wood worm treatment

Lion, you don't have enough posts for me to PM you. It is "20 Mule Team" brand. Like I said I have not done mine with it yet so I'm not 100% sure that it will work. I think adding some salt wouldn't hurt. Salt works for so many things. I been told that blood was used in the old days to preserve beams. Keep posting back with me here until you get enough posts to private message. I can probably help you out. Dorf Dude...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #10

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
Lion, you don't have enough posts for me to PM you. It is "20 Mule Team" brand. Like I said I have not done mine with it yet so I'm not 100% sure that it will work. I think adding some salt wouldn't hurt. Salt works for so many things. I been told that blood was used in the old days to preserve beams. Keep posting back with me here until you get enough posts to private message. I can probably help you out. Dorf Dude...
Thanks shumakerscott,
I understand now that "20 mule Team is the Brand "
I didn't realise that.
I just got another mail from a friend where to find it. I wonder if this is a good price ?
http://www.mediverse.de/shop/product...Fc6T3wodc1EG-g
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
the Musigician

Wood worm treatment

don't forget the boric acid powder.... if it crawls or wriggles, it'll kill it, and it lasts 20 years and more...
and you could also add some diatomaceous earth to the mix too.....

DM
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #12

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
Forgot to write it in previous post.
My email is fx_the_lion@yahoo.com
No problem sending me any messages through it.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #13

Wood worm treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
don't forget the boric acid powder.... if it crawls or wriggles, it'll kill it, and it lasts 20 years and more...
and you could also add some diatomaceous earth to the mix too.....

DM
Thanks Dangermouse,

I will try to look for the Boric acid too.
My problem over here is finding a place/shop to buy them. It's a tiny country where small retailers are hard to find. The big commercial shopping centres are expensive and their products are usually branded.
That is why I had ask for info to purchase it over the French or German border.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #14

Wood worm treatment

From What I have read Bora Care dries clear where as Borax is going to leave the surface white. Can anyone who has used Bora Care confirm this?

I am building furniture with some Red Oak I got a good deal on and later found out it had worms. I want to make sure I kill them but can still use the wood for my projects.

Thanks,

Mauricio
MOCHOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
the Musigician

Wood worm treatment

i just cut around the wormy spots... it heats my home well.

DM