Wood Pecker In Wall Or Something Worse!!!? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Pecker In Wall or Something Worse!!!?

So for 2 or 3 days my wife and I have noticed a sound coming from the wall behind our kitchen sink. There are no pipes or plumbing in this wall. We can here the sound the best in the basement under that wall, since the wooden floor is exposed. That is where I recorded the following sound. The wall is an external wall with Al siding.

I am not sure how a woodpecker would be in the wall but is sounds like one. The sound is constant throughout the day and night.

http://homepages.uc.edu/~blauvetr/SoundFromWall.mp3

Any idea what this is, it is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement

Blauvster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Hahaha - sounds like your house is haunted :D I heard a meniacle laugh and even the sound of eery music - sounds from beyond the grave, perhaps? :D

My first thought is that it's not a woodpecker. Woodpeckers have a specific rhythm in their pecking and I don't imagine that a 2x4 wall would be sufficient room. However, your wall might be 2x6 as a lot of kitchen walls are - and if you don't have sufficient pecking-room then that might explain the random lack of rhythm if it's pecking.

It really sounds like a mechanical turn - almost like tumblers in an old lock being manipulated and released. But since your house isn't like that on 13 Ghosts I think you can rule out a mystical portal awaiting you.

Consult an exterminator for removal of the pest - odds are they'll say you have to open the wall to remove. In which case it would be convenient to have the kitchen sink under space as access.

Can you feel vibration on the wall with your hand when it pecks? That can help you find it's exact location if you decide to cut an entrance.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
fabrk8r

Could be ghosts, but I doubt it. Here, see if this link helps...

Clicking sound when hot water turned on
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the fast replies! I checked the attic and one bird flew out, banged into the window and flew back up. Opened the window and the bird had a successful trip the second time.

It was black with some gray patterns and had a long narrow beak.

The sound is sadly still there
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
fabrk8r

I'll wager it's a copper pipe that's making the noise. Did you look at the link I posted?

Is your hot water supply to your kitchen sink made of copper and does it go through the floor under the cabinet?

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #6

I don't think it is piping. The hot, cold, and drain piping is exposed. And the sound is coming from behind them.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
fabrk8r

Upon listening to the sound file again, I noticed wind chimes and the sound of wind blowing...does this sound only occur when the wind is blowing?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #8

Nope. It happens pretty much all the time since we noticed it. Wind or not. At 1:00am or 1:00pm. This animal or insect is relentless. Although I hope it isn't an insect since the noise is pretty loud.

I am going to open up the wall I think, see what kinda critter doesn't need sleep.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

It sounds to me to be electric! An old solenoid attempting to open? Then it resets? Old doorbell perhaps?
Sure is a good mystery! Let us know what you find! PLEASE!!???

DM
Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #10

The transformer for the door bell is directly below where the noise is coming from. Maybe it is something electrical. Would really surprise me though.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
the Musigician

I just duplicated the sound with a solenoid here. That's my guess.
Ain't no woodpecker I'VE ever heard though, so I'm thinking it's not any type of critter.
If it IS a critter, I'd have to guess rat/rodent.

DM
Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
fabrk8r

I'm sticking with my original guess that it's pipe expansion and contraction.

One way to prove me wrong is to shut off water heater for a couple hours and see if the noise goes away.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
the Musigician

Loose wiring on the doorbell. Does the doorbell still chime/work?

DM
Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #14

I am with DangerMouse on this one. Sounded like a old typewriter to me, but with out the ding on the end. lol Electrical contacts in a switch IMO seem to be spot on. This one should prove interesting.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #15

I am currently at school, so can't test the doorbell. Would be nice if that is the problem. The relentlessness of it and the same location really make me think that it is something not living.

But the sound itself makes me think it is an animal. And after getting a bird out of a attic earlier today, coincidence?, I really think it is something alive. But have no idea what animal would cause a sound like that for such a long duration.

I have had pet rats in the past and the sound they make when chewing something hard is no where near the same frequency of the sound burst coming from the wall, so I really don't think it is cause by a rodent gnawing away at wood.

Another interesting fact is the sound seems to be coming from under a window. So it should be a completely framed in area.

Out of curiosity do pipes just randomly start making a constant noise? It shouldnt be pipes because I am 95% sure there are no pipes in the area the noise is coming from. But we haven't lived in the house for more than a year, so who knows maybe something in the wall during the spring makes noises like woodpeckers.

Advertisement