Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

What are these??

A couple of week ago, my g/f found a few of these bugs in the bed. Just last night anotyher popped up. What are these things? I have some good close up macro pics if you cant see them here.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

scottyharp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Why not

What are these??

let me call my x-girlfriend and ask her what the name was. looks familiar

noahweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Man of many hats

What are these??

I'm not an entomologist, but that looks alot like a tick. There are so many types it is hard to tell for sure.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #4

What are these??

are you in va?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

What are these??

First. I must say, I was slightly horrified when I saw there were pics associated with this thread, horrified and enthralled.

Second. It looks like a beetle to me, right now my attic is crawling with them and I could see one ending up in bed. (they apparently hibernate inside and in the spring swarm while they're making their way out...)

UGGGGHHHH!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

What are these??

no, not a tick. It is a beetle of some sort.

from what I can tell, it looks a lot like this guy:

http://www.insectidentification.org/...-Carpet-Beetle

Last edited by nap; 03-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #7

What are these??

That looks like a dermestid beetle or carpet beetle. They are enemy number one in natural history museums where they have stuffed animals and other dried specimens. Without chemical protection the larvae will eat up collections. Around the house they are harmless.
ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What are these??

Call a licensed exterminator. A good one can get rid of the bugs and the girlfriend at the same time.

Or rush to a box/home improvement store and spend a fortune on insecticides that will not work even though they have very pretty bottles.

Could you please click on your username and update very basic geographic info so we know where you are?

Last edited by user1007; 03-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

What are these??

the virginia forrestry dept in its infinet or not wisdom years ago unleashed a ladybug look alike to rid us of the gypsy moth infestation that was defoliating our forests. now we have these bugs in the millions. at our house every year late fall they swarm, you cannot keep them out. remuddling here i opened a wall in winter and every stud pocket was packed full. they are still coming out during the warm part of the day thru the windows. in your hair while you sleep, bite if inyour bed while you sleep, and they apparently are attracted to light colored siding. our neighbor has a dark siding vs our off white and they have almost no problem. next house after them light colored and over run. lowes has a spray that is somewhat effective but will not completely stop them, and of course you need to spray all around windows and doors so clean up gets tacked on. thanks va forrestry, what next to get rid of them
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Household Handyman

What are these??

Yup! We got dem same little bugs down here. As they look so much like various other "Ladybug's", we just call them "Ladybugs". I find most of the concentrations behind vinyl siding. I was always taught they would eat those little white aphids from underneath tree/shrub leaves. Actually--I've not seen them do any harm other than be obnoxious. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

What are these??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Yup! We got dem same little bugs down here. As they look so much like various other "Ladybug's", we just call them "Ladybugs". I find most of the concentrations behind vinyl siding. I was always taught they would eat those little white aphids from underneath tree/shrub leaves. Actually--I've not seen them do any harm other than be obnoxious. David
those are the real ladybugs that eat the aphids. and the good old American ladybugs don't infest your house either but the asian ladybugs do.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What are these??

The asian ones that hit Central Illinois for a few years by the millions were introduced to help with insect populations in pecan orchards in the South. They migrated and fell in love with soybeans and the farmers loved them. They had some sort of disease that caused them to die out over generations but they did real damage to the friendly ladybug populations we all grew up to love. And the Asian ones bite and stink like crazy when you wack them with a shoe. I happen to be violently allergic to the suckers. As mentioned they did pack themselves around window frames in the Fall, especially during harvest season. Box store insectisides will not work well for anything. Vacuuming and trash bagging them worked as well as anything for me.

I think I saw something about exterminators using some sort of cryogenic stuff for household beetle things. I think it was liquid nitrogen?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Household Handyman

What are these??

"sdsester"--My dear Suh, could you possibly be implying that us'ns in Beloved Dixie, with our many thousands of acres of fine Pecan Orchards, would have dare'st to import a varmint which even might turn and proceed North what to cause a hindrance to our Beloved Yankee friends?
Suh--I do believe Germ Warfare was forbidden under The Geneva Convention.

Of course I ain't in no Geneva eeder.

You'uns have a nice day now, you hear! David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #14

What are these??

That is a photo of a varied carpet beetle (Anthrenus verbasci). Adult females lay about 40 eggs in a lifetime. The eggs hatch in 10 to 20 days but remain in larval state for 222 to 323 days (if you've ever seen what looks like a tiny fuzzy caterpillar in the corner of a room or quite commonly where the ceiling meets the wall, that's what the larvae looks like)

Hope this helps.

BugsBugMe is offline   Reply With Quote