What Kind Of Insect Did This? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

What kind of insect did this?

Howdy all. I am doing some work at my house and found tunnels inside several studs. No dust piles or insects, just tunnels. Some of the tunnels have what appears to be saw dust in them but it's hard. It almost looks like wood filler. The studs are all structurally sound, not soft at all. The attached picture shows an example.

Some are in load bearing walls so they are not easy to replace. I live in Michigan. The damage looks to be quite old... I think. The house itself it old - 50+ years.

1. What insect likely caused this?
2. How likely is it that the insect is still around? I haven't seen any bugs at all.

Thanks - Don


xycarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

I'm not a bug man---just an old carpenter.

The way the channels are exposed looks to me like the damage was in the log before the studs were cut.

If so the kiln drying killed the bugs long before the house was built.

I don't see a problem--just ugly studs.

Having a bug man come out to verify would not be a bad idea,However I've seen that many times with new lumber----It wasn't a problem.---Mike---


New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
josall (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
pest control operator
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 428
Rewards Points: 250

It is from a wood-boring larvae/beetle. Very likely been there a long time; oh'mike's advice is good. The sawdust they make is called "frass" and they use it to pack the oval opening prior to emerging. Their gestation period can be years, especially if in an unheated building. It's likely that kiln drying did kill them and no re-infestation took place. Oftentimes they don't re-infest anyway due to the wood changing it's moisture and nutrient content over time.
They do make oval shaped holes though. The longer galleries indicate that the milling process exposed them, as oh'mike points out.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what kind of wye do I need? graysqwrl Plumbing 6 06-22-2011 04:23 PM
Looking for a kind of pest killer spray userid Pest Control 1 05-04-2010 07:06 AM
New kind of weed in lawn? VelvetFoot Landscaping & Lawn Care 9 11-14-2009 10:11 PM
What kind of breaker TaazKareem Electrical 22 09-26-2008 10:03 PM
painting over drywall -- what kind of prep? CindyF Painting 6 01-12-2006 12:54 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1