Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #1

Share |

What did this to my 4x4 deck support?

I was doing some fall clean up and noticed that something dug a hole next to one of the 4x4 posts under the deck and chewed a hole the size of a baseball into the support. I have no idea what could of done this. Any thoughts?

Here are some pics:

cwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
the Musigician

the pics look to me like something DUG the hole. is the wood rotted? probably a groundhog or other digger trying to get under your home to make THEIR home. plug the hole.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
home improvement guru

Definitely plug the whole asap and keep an eye on it. You might want to have a deck contractor come check it out to make sure it's still structurally sound.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #4

Yes, something dug up about a foot of earth and then chewed right through the wooden post. The post is at the far end of the deck away from the house and I dont think whatever it was could chew through concrete (or can they?) to try and get into the house. I've never seen anything like this before and I checked all the other posts under the deck and they are fine. The hole in the post is about the size of the 4x4 itself, so it is going to give out. I'm not to worried right now since the deck is only a foot off the ground and no one will be out there during the winter. I just want to know what could of done this to try and prevent the other posts from getting attacked. : (
cwest94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
the Musigician

is the post rotted? can you dig out pieces of it with your fingers? if so, it's dug. i don't think groundhogs will chew them, nor coons or rabbits i don't think. do you have beavers nearby? fill the hole and watch it and the surrounding areas for fresh digs. if that same hole gets dug, see if it looks like it's dug IN or OUT. the critter may be in there comfy already and will push the dirt out. some mothballs or other repellent might be a good idea too.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #6

Chipmunk Control ?
ViSta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Bug Expert

That post had to be softened (probably by moisture) before any animal could've gnawed into it. I would suggest that if all of your deck posts are in contact with the soil, that you cut them off above ground and install concrete footers under them.

Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote