Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 324
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What bug is this...?


Here's a new bug that made it into the house. We saw 3 of these crawling around the house last night, in different locations. They're about 3/8-1/2" long. Anyone know what these guys are?
Attached Thumbnails
What bug is this...?-img_3528-1.jpg  

Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Rewards Points: 2,000
Blog Entries: 7
Default

What bug is this...?


EWWW! that one looks icky!

The wet spring followed by the rapid warm-up has resulted in TONS of bugs for us this year.

__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What bug is this...?


do they all look like that? The only thing I have been able to find that was even close is the banded alder beetle. It looks similar to yours. I was thinking maybe yours is a young version of this guy:



banded alder borer
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 324
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What bug is this...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
do they all look like that? The only thing I have been able to find that was even close is the banded alder beetle. It looks similar to yours. I was thinking maybe yours is a young version of this guy:



banded alder borer
Thanks Nap. I wasn't able to see your posted photo, but I've now seen plenty on the internet. Mine were all twins. While some of the banding and antenna are similar, I don't think mine are BABs. Mine are much smaller, and have too much red (and I'm well out of the region BABs are supposed to inhabit).

I agree with Leah: Icky. Still, would like to solve the mystery.....
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What bug is this...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdanf View Post
Thanks Nap. I wasn't able to see your posted photo, but I've now seen plenty on the internet. Mine were all twins. While some of the banding and antenna are similar, I don't think mine are BABs. Mine are much smaller, and have too much red (and I'm well out of the region BABs are supposed to inhabit). I agree with Leah: Icky. Still, would like to solve the mystery.....
the lack of total color and your being smaller is a couple reasons I thought yours might be adolescent BAB's. I still haven't found anything closer.

If you have a USDA field office anywhere close, they might be able to help. I know that was one of the major services they provided when we had a local extension close.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 324
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What bug is this...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
the lack of total color and your being smaller is a couple reasons I thought yours might be adolescent BAB's. I still haven't found anything closer.

If you have a USDA field office anywhere close, they might be able to help. I know that was one of the major services they provided when we had a local extension close.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that (unless someone else out there can ID this little bugger...).
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
fabrk8r
 
fabrk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 849
Rewards Points: 500
Default

What bug is this...?


It definitely looks to be of the borer beetle family. Most closely resembles the red-headed ash borer.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What bug is this...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
It definitely looks to be of the borer beetle family. Most closely resembles the red-headed ash borer.

looks like you might have hit it on it's little red head.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...er.preview.jpg
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 324
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What bug is this...?


Wow, I think that's either the bug (red-headed ash borer), or a close cousin -- perhaps a red-headed pecan borer! And yes, we do have a little bit of fire wood left in the house that might have been infected.

So, I'll throw out the wood pronto, before any more of these buggies can hatch, and start smooshing the ones that continue to show up.

Thanks all for the feedback. Mystery solved!

Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.