Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
I love my new front yard!

Rewards Points: 150

We have mice!

I just saw one run by me as i was at my computer!

Yet we also have a 4 month old puppy, what are options to deal with them being we have a puppy that gets into everything?

Telfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

We have mice!

If the puppy is big enough, this will work
Attached Thumbnails
We have mice!-big-cat.jpg  

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-23-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

We have mice!

when dealing with pets and children, trapping is the way to go. no sense in using poisons.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

We have mice!

If the mice are running around you in the wide open I'd say brace yourself for a full onslaught. Do you hear little wee clicking noises in the walls at night?

Get the bags of poison pellets and get it over with. The stuff dehydrates them so they don't stink as they decompose.

Usually mice run along walls and not right across the middle of the floor. So put the bait behind things the puppy can't get at. Like the stove and fridge
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

We have mice!

Traps like this are safe around pets.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...372C78&first=1

I would never use any type of poison baits, I nearly lost my dog when it got into some.

Be proactive and figure out how there getting in, it only takes a tiny hole or crack.
Loose siding, foundation cracks or points of entry for plumbing or wiring, under the sink.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

We have mice!

Gonna go to home depot today & no the mouse did not run across the middle of the room but along the edges actually.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #7

We have mice!

One entered my room tonight & it gave me a chance to move one of the traps we got today & so i placed it in its path & caught it & flushed him down the toilet & flushed twice to be safe from the upstairs of the house...

Is that a good way to get rid of them or will they swim their way back in the house?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
bbo

We have mice!

They should be killed.

And never flush any thing but poo and tp down the toilet.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #9

We have mice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
They should be killed.

And never flush any thing but poo and tp down the toilet.
Ok so what the easiest way to kill them?
I dont wanna make a mess or chance it getting away in attempting to kill it.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

We have mice!

First things first - what are the mice eating? If you have food (human or pet) stored where they can access it, you are not going to get rid of them. I've seen people have problems simply due to the fact that they had dog food bags stored on the floor of the garage. If you have a pantry I would make sure to clean it out and make sure nothing is getting eaten.

Second, if you have tall grass around the house foundation, mow it down. Try to eliminate any natural cover for the mice.

Once you have denied them food and shelter, *then* start thinking about traps. Otherwise it will be an uphill battle and a waste of money.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-23-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #11

We have mice!

So far you've seen two. For every one you do see, there are likely a dozen or more that you don't. Don't bother wasting your efforts with live traps. These guys are disease infested rodents who will make short work of your wiring in the walls.

Snap traps work well, but I imagine you'll be going through plenty of those. I did, until I finally just got the poison. The cat and the dog and the crawling babies all survived nicely because I put the bags out their reach.

This is not rocket science
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12

We have mice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
First things first - what are the mice eating? If you have food (human or pet) stored where they can access it, you are not going to get rid of them. I've seen people have problems simply due to the fact that they had dog food bags stored on the floor of the garage. If you have a pantry I would make sure to clean it out and make sure nothing is getting eaten.

Second, if you have tall grass around the house foundation, mow it down. Try to eliminate any natural cover for the mice.

Once you have denied them food and shelter, *then* start thinking about traps. Otherwise it will be an uphill battle and a waste of money.
Yeah now we are being much more careful about any food in the trash cans around the house as well & the dog treats have been on top of the microwave & we see no holes in any of the bags showing that they have eaten any of that & the dog food in in a big thick plastic sealed tub that has not sign of attempts by them trying to get to the food either so what are they eating?
Good question..

I have no grass against the house at all for other reasons & always keep my lawn mowed I like a clean neat lawn in front of my house & the back is just dirt, I've not gotten around to adding a lawn in the back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
So far you've seen two. For every one you do see, there are likely a dozen or more that you don't. Don't bother wasting your efforts with live traps. These guys are disease infested rodents who will make short work of your wiring in the walls.

Snap traps work well, but I imagine you'll be going through plenty of those. I did, until I finally just got the poison. The cat and the dog and the crawling babies all survived nicely because I put the bags out their reach.

This is not rocket science
Dont know if we've seen two or the same one twice & yes I realize that if we've seen one that means there likely MANY more.

I've been thinking about poisons & as you say placing it out of reach like under the house & in the basement where the dog never goes & etc.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
bbo

We have mice!

we've used glue traps in the past at our cabin.

just make sure to keep em out of the kids reach and vision. hard to wash off.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 256

We have mice!

Don't flush them down the toilet! Snap traps (the ones that kill) are the best. The glue traps can be kind of inhumane, as you may find a mouse caught in it huffing and puffing, trying to get out. Broke my wife's heart, but I didn't care!

Go around your foundation and find any holes where they could be getting in. Plug them up with steel wool or copper mesh, big box stores will have one or the other.

Once a few get in, they tell their friends, so you need to really jump on this!!

Good luck. We had quite a collection in Feb (caught 22 that month), and this month I caught 4 when I noticed they had pulled out some copper mesh I had inserted in my foundation previously. That is all buttoned up nice and tight now, no more mice. Until they find the NEXT way in....
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #15

We have mice!

Glue traps are mean in my opinion. Then what are supposed to do with this cute little thing. Dirty, but cute, quite alive with its feet stuck on the paper. Instant kill or poison is easier for the murderer too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Jonsey120 (08-14-2012), oh'mike (08-14-2012)