Today Is Tent Day - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 946

Today is tent day

So today I am having my house tented, going through all the prep work now and ready to vacate.

First, stupid me, I got three bids, and selected the bid from a guy who is the most knowledgeable, but come tent day, I found out they are not the company doing the work, its a sub...hence the scheduling issue, they can't tell me what time they will arrive, its someone else they call who calls them back then they call me...

Now question #1, the rep who sold me the job told me the tenting will need 3 days to properly do its work to kill off any termites. Any less we are taking chances. I have made plans to be gone 3 days.

The sub who called this morning told me they will come between 10-12 this morning, I ask when they will come to remove the tent, they told me "same time tomorrow". I was like "wait, I thought it needs 3 days for it to work?", they said "no, 24 hours is plenty"...ok?

I asked the original rep if the gas will kill off all the termites, behind walls, inside all dead spaces? He said yes, it will occupy all the crevices and air space, I said even in wall cavities covered by two thick layers of plaster, behind thick mudded tile walls with all plumbing access holes sealed with caulk? Really? He said of course!

Now I am looking at the prep sheet and it says to open every drawer and cabinet door at least 4". Why? I asked why the need to open 4" if it can penetrate deep into wall cavities where the termites live, they said its just "making sure"...but I am a bit perplexed by this, I said is it like when an airplane has lost all engines and crashing into a mountain at a 45 degree angle with a speed of 250mph, the pilot tells the passenger to put the seat back in a non reclined position and fold the tray table back, that kind of "making sure"? They just chuckle...

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,196

Today is tent day

If you haven't signed a contract, I'd advise canceling that job so fast it would make the poor little rich boy's head spin.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 3,834

Today is tent day

I would be on the phone right now.

That tent needs to stay on at least 2 days min. 3 Is better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (01-30-2015), Startingover (03-05-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Today is tent day

Now the crew is here late at 2pm, speaking to the foreman and he said they will take it down tomorrow morning after 16 hours. Again they say "should be ok..."

Is it ok? I called the rep and waiting on a call back.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
JOATMON

Today is tent day

NOT ok.....goes against all standard practices....

Tell them if it comes down before 3 days, no one is getting paid.

Take pictures. Document.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
JOATMON

Today is tent day

Here are some links...

http://bestcarefumigation.com/faq.php

http://www.gctermite.com/faq.php

They all say 3 days (2 nights).

The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Today is tent day

I spoke to the rep who sold me the job, he said the three days is typically day 1 set up, day to expose to gas, day 3 is take down and air out. He said normally they will only need to have gas for 24 hours, but in this case if they do 16 hours, it still need 6 hours to air out, and during that time, the gas is still "working" so it's like 18 hours, and that's plenty of time for it to kill everything.

I am not too confident...but there is no way to make sure. I can't knock on the termites' doors and ask "are you all dead?" So I have no way to prove it worked or not worked.

Advertisement