DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tiny orange biting bugs...have picture, help!

352K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Richbeckett 
#1 · (Edited)
The last couple of weeks we've had these super tiny orange bugs biting us from time to time. Both my wife and I have seen them on us (usually following a bite)...they are about this size of the very tip of a pen. This morning my wife killed one, stuck it under my son's microscope, and took a picture.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Flickr URL: http://flic.kr/p/9yvk6H

Maybe a flea? Bedbug? Any ideas??

Note: These are getting us INSIDE our house (not outside), and they are not chiggers (at least, they don't feel like chiggers and aren't burrowing under our skin).

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks to be a young flea. Do you have any pets?
Sprinkle 21 mule team borax all around your floors and carpet, and especially pet bedding, leave there for a day at least before vacuuming or sweeping.
Definitely sounds accurate now that you say that. Especially since these critters bite but they don't leave a mark. Thanks for the input!!!

#13 ·
The University of Illinois has an amazing entomology department and they love challenges. May Birnbaum is the head and is legendary for her efforts to explain insects to people. She started the Scary Insect Film Festival which is free and nothing but fun. Tom Hanks brother teaches there so we used to see him buying ice cream for nieces and nephews at time.

In Chicago, we know what bedbugs look like. Yours is not one of them. It looks almost too long to be a flea.

Anyhow, the advice to treat your pets now for fleas or whatever insects they roll around with is great. The stuff is amazing and I used to have dogs in such anguish they would scratch and lick themselves raw in places.

Borax/Boron, is a simple mineral that has been used for ages to control crawling pests that come in contact with it. It is also about the only thing that will kill creeping charlie in your yard. Unfortunately people overused it and it is restricted or banned for exterior use in many states. It can render soil sterile for many years.

Whenever I had to open walls in a restoration I coated studs and so forth with a spray solution of Boron before sealing them shut.

#14 ·
Good call, Jane; I now believe them to be thrips as well. They are a nuisance, but cause no problems. They don't bite-something else is causing the irritation or reaction.

sdester: I too use Boron, specifically Tim-Bor as you do. I actually put a layer of the powder on sills plates in sheds, garages, basements as it also protects against moisture damage.

#15 ·
Actually, thrips do bite humans, even though they do not suck blood, as some other biting insects. Generally, they bite just to find out if it's something edible, or not. Their bites are purported to be painful. Lots of info about them is available on the web, if you do a google search.:no:

#16 ·
From the web:

"Thrips don't bite on purpose. They are just "tasting" you to see if you are a plant. They do not inject venom and the discomfort is only temporary. Of course you're not a plant and they are probably disappointed (Who knows?). Most people who are bitten by thrips are usually sitting downwind from something that's blooming. In the spring and summer, Chinese Tallow trees, magnolias, and wildflowers are loaded with thrips because of their blooms.

Thrips usually move from vegetables and flowers in the spring to wild grasses and native plants in the summer as drier conditions prevail.

Controlling thrips is fairly simple. Strong streams of water will provide some control, but insecticidal soaps will provide a more reliable means of managing this pest. Other controls include malathion, permethrin, and pyrethrin sprays. Check the product label to make sure it is approved for thrips control on the area in which you plan to use it. Thrips rarely require control efforts, but there are a variety of means available to do the job."

Literature Reference: Drees and Jackman. A Field Guide to Common Texas Insects. Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, Texas, 1998. (ISBN: 0-87719-263-4)

#17 ·
Good info, Jane, thanks. I can count on one hand the number of times I've treated a property for thrips; might explain my misidentification of the photo, coupled with being to lazy to do the research.

When I've treated for thrips, it was in extreme cases. If they are getting inside a house, that could count as an extreme case. If someone is working in yard/garden and getting exposed/irritated, then that would be the more normal situation. Probably not requiring a treatment, or a low-impact treatment at best.

When I did treat, I power-sprayed exterior with a synthetic pyrethroid. Bi-fenthrin would be a good choice.

#18 ·
I have been having the same problem

I live in Minnesota and have been having the same problem for the past few days. I have no clue what they are and you can barely see them. It first started outside at a park and has been a problem ever since. I vaguely remember this happening last year and I think it is a short seasonal problem. Let me know if you find the answer. I couldn't see your picture so I don't know if they look the same but the ones I saw are small, fly and are super fast. The bites sting.

#21 ·
I have had the same problem

I live in northeastern pa, in the tristate area, and have noticed them all summer long. Whenever I go outside and smoke my morning cigarette I get bit up by the little orange pests. They r not fleas, fleas don't fly. And I had a long bout with those darn things. Borax, and vacuuming 3 times daily got rid of the fleas after about a month they disappeared. These orange bugs r attracted to my white t shirt, and there r usually about 30 on me at a time, they are easy to squash but are on me instantly as soon as I go outside, and I don't notice them until they start biting me. I then have to take my shirt off to wash it. They are around the size of a pin head. People think that I am crazy because they don't see them. My wife did until I showed her them on my white t. They go after me and not her. I read online they were calling them midges, but those did not look like them, they were black. What the hell are the tiny biting orange bugs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.