Tiny Fly/gnat Problem - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Tiny fly/gnat problem

I've just moved into a flat and the kitchen is infested with these tiny flies.
They're so small and float around in no particular direction. They're so small and light that when you try to catch them, the movement of air blows them away and they disappear!
I'm so sick of them and I'm sure they're making my itch (it may be in my mind, I'm not sure ), but they don't bite.
I'd like to identify what type of fly they are so I can google them, unless anyone here has some advice? I'm pretty desperate!

To help fill you in some more, i think these few things may help in identifying the problem;

1. When I moved in, a tap under the sink had been dripping for weeks making the MDF shelf inside the unit swell up with water, grow mold and rot. My fella threw the shelf away the day we moved in (3 weeks ago).
  2. There was a large splash of food, maybe gravy, up the kitchen wall and up to the ceiling. I cleaned it straight away with bleach spray.
  3. The previous owners had dogs and upon viewing i could see that the dogs had urinated in every room. I had all the carpets professionally cleaned before I moved in, the day i moved in I used a bug/flea killer "Shake 'n' Vac" too.
  4. I have sprayed a 6 week lasting bug killer on all window sills, skirting boards and door frames. Bleached every single floor and surface (including the cabinet which had the rotted shelf) and put up fly sticky papers - and caught hundreds!
  5. I have very clean, litter trained giant house rabbits - imagine rabbits that behave like cats or dogs. I empty their litter tray every morning.
  6. Also it is because of my rabbits why I cannot use a fogger in my flat (well, unless they sleep in my car overnight LOL).
  7. They look like this: http://www.gardenscure.com/420/attac...s-p1010160.jpg
Thank you all in advance for helping out a noob to the forums
Sophie x

Advertisement

Shmophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Tiny fly/gnat problem

I canít tell what they are from the sample, but a positive identification is paramount in solving fly problems as flies breed and live in so many different environments. Treating with insecticides will only kill exposed adults. The solution will be in finding and removing their harborage. Identifying the fly will point us in the right direction for finding the harborage. Here in the states we can take specimens to county agricultural agents, and sometimes college entomologists. Specific identification is an important first step here. Keep us posted.

Advertisement

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Tiny fly/gnat problem

Try this, take two clear plastic cups, put a slice of apple in the bottom of one of the cups. make a hole the size of a pencil in the bottom of the other cup and tape the two together top to top.
It's a home made fruit fly trap.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 268

Tiny fly/gnat problem

Are they small flys with oversized wings? If so around here we call them drain flys. They demm to come from the drains. I get them in my basement if the trap in my floor drain dry up. I don't know if your plumbing is similar, but make sure all the traps have water in them
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Tiny fly/gnat problem

Firstly, thank you for all the replies. The night that I posted this topic I was googling like crazy and I THINK that they are drain flies. So I put bleach down every plug hole in the house and put the plugs in overnight. I also took out the bins and threw away my potted plants This hasn't done a thing!
I've no idea where theyre coming from but I have a feeling it was to do with the rotted sink shelf.
One thing I have learned also, is that they only come out at night - like after 9pm, very strange indeed!
I wouldn't really say that they have oversized wings tho, theyre so small that they look like a bit of lint in the air, however, the ones stuck to the fly tape look like they have really long legs that are as thin as hair.
May upload an image of the sticky tape tomorrow.
Hope this helps? I'm getting so sick of them!
Thanks again :-)
Shmophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs , flies , fly , problem