Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tiny Black ants

I just moved to a brand new home in Delaware within 20 minutes or so from the coast. There is a farm 100 ft in front of my house and the house is surrouned with woods on the back and sides. My yard is actually a sandlot at the moment. I am experiencing a problem with some little black ants. I am finding them mostly in/ or around the kitchen sink. I have no idea how they are getting in unless maybe they are coming up through the floor somehow or something. I left a container of pudding in my room one nite when i fell asleep. When i woke up the pudding was full of ants!!! I have 4 cats so I am worried about using anything that could harm them. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance,
Rich

RichyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #2

Tiny Black ants

The ants have made a nest somewhere along the foundation and burrowed into either your door sill, below the threshold or along a window well.
Otherwise, you have some holes in the basement walls, along the wood or concrete steps(cracks) or crawlspace.
Check your local plant center or home improvement center and buy a few containers of the ant powder, then sprinkle it liberally around any of the suspicious areas.
I discovered the ants one afternoon at the base of my back door.

RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Oldguy

Tiny Black ants

Boric acid is an effective ant poison mixed with an attractant (like honey or mint jelly) or maybe pudding if they seem to like that. Very low toxicity to pets, deadly to ants. You want to mix it in their food source so they will take it back to the nest eventually queen eats it and a final end to colony. Don't kill ants you see, cause you won't get the ones in the nest.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Tiny Black ants

Look outside the perimeter of your home for a pile of rocks, a large piece of wood, a low-growing plant, etc. that is directly up to your house. Ants can usually be found underneath such things. I know because we occasionally get them and they live under a pile of decorative river rocks our neighbor has in her yard along our wall (HOA development). Our pest control guy simply goes out and sprays the pile of rocks with a good dousing which lasts for several months. Inside, I use a clear ant spritz spray (non-aerosol) and we also have a cat. Ants are somewhat easier to kill on contact so try not to buy one of those all purpose crawling insect sprays that carries a higher dosage of chemical. You may also want to try the ant baits. I've found that alhough they take upwards of two weeks to work, they are reasonably effective.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #5

Tiny Black ants

Thanks for the advice, Im gonna look for the ants today or tommorrow. There is a lot of dead wood around my house and there is a crawl space below that they might be in.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #6

Tiny Black ants

Mix boric acid with shortening + a little flour. Roll into marble size balls and put them into cabinets, etc. Cats will not eat them but sure kills ants. When the balls are dried out replace them- also kills roaches.
ray dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

Tiny Black ants

Where do i get boric acid? and how much do i use? Do they take this back to thier colonies with them? Most of them are hanging out by my kitchen sink, I picked up a fork the other day that had ants on it and one of those #@$#@$#'s bit me! I feel like I am reliving a Tom and Jerry episode, your advice is greatly appreciated, I really dont wanna resort to acme TNT but i will if i must
Regards,

Last edited by RichyL; 11-25-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Oldguy

Tiny Black ants

Boric acid is available at any hardware or big box store, and most drug stores.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #9

Tiny Black ants

Although boric acid is regarded as safe by most-it has NO antidote so I'd go lightly around it.Especially the 10 lbs you can apparently get at Lowes for 5$. Get a free inspection from a pest company. He may tell you what kind they are and in turn you'll have more info on what to do for them. Each ant species is different is some ways. So what may work for one little black ant may not for another who looks very simular. For a little more info..http://pestcemetery.com/?cat=5 You can do it yourself I'm sure but ID is the first key.
Good Luck
Dutch1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #10

Tiny Black ants

Have you tried diatomaceous earth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatoma...h#Pest_control
Lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Oldguy

Tiny Black ants

Boric acid has about the same toxicity as table salt, hardly very toxic

Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #12

Tiny Black ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1962 View Post
Although boric acid is regarded as safe by most-it has NO antidote so I'd go lightly around it.Especially the 10 lbs you can apparently get at Lowes for 5$. Get a free inspection from a pest company. He may tell you what kind they are and in turn you'll have more info on what to do for them. Each ant species is different is some ways. So what may work for one little black ant may not for another who looks very simular. For a little more info..http://pestcemetery.com/?cat=5 You can do it yourself I'm sure but ID is the first key.
Good Luck
This past summer, one of my customers had an encounter with crazy ants, i.e. a hardy, frenetic and prolific type of ant. The exterminator advised that only very recently had an effective formula been developed to combat them. The other formulas had no appreciable effect on them. I never knew of crazy ants before that day and I learned several new things as a result of my conversation with the tech.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #13

Tiny Black ants

I had the same problem with ants around the sink, I found that putting baby power around so that they can come in cotract with it and It kills them.

ajh359 is offline   Reply With Quote