DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Pest Control (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/)
-   -   Theres no way to kill roached down a sink drain, right? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/theres-no-way-kill-roached-down-sink-drain-right-186795/)

noquacks 09-10-2013 03:52 PM

Theres no way to kill roached down a sink drain, right?
 
Gees, how does one control the breeding "ground" for disgusting roaches if the live in your sewer drain/pipes that travel for 100-200 feet??! They come up the drain, and crawl out of sink, then, well, you know. Yes, I can spray Demand CS around sink area, etc, but wont they just keep coming out?

Thanks.

noquacks 09-10-2013 03:54 PM

I mean, I could "gas" them- first dump bleach down there, the follow with muriatic. Resulting will be a drain pipe line full of chlorine gas. Of course, I will have to stoper up my rain........

djlandkpl 09-10-2013 04:20 PM

That sounds like a scene from a horror movie. They make it through the trap?

noquacks 09-10-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djlandkpl (Post 1240344)
That sounds like a scene from a horror movie. They make it through the trap?

Im just assuming they do- cant say 100% as I dont see thm climb out (indeed like a horror movie!), but theres 3-4 right where the sing is- Im assuming they hold their breath and 'swim" through trap. i wouldnt put it beyond them, those 350 million year old stinkers......from the cretaceous era.......

noquacks 09-10-2013 06:29 PM

geez- maybe I should ckeck/verify- maybe I have a stupid bottle trap instead of a regular p trap . If so, a dry bottle trap would be a good easy highway for them to come on in!

noquacks 09-10-2013 06:36 PM

OK. Its a p trap. BUT, the drain system does not have a regular whatchamacallit- that long tube that goes through the roof, for venting. Vent pipe(?). It has a shortened version, that is under the sink, maybe thats where theyre crawling from. sewer, through that venting pipe, avoiding the p trap....

djlandkpl 09-10-2013 06:40 PM

I would think that if the plumbing lines are used on a regular basis the roaches would get washed back down the pipe, especially the main line. If I had to guess, they are coming from somewhere else.

joecaption 09-10-2013 06:42 PM

100% sure there not drain flies?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ures&FORM=IGRE

djlandkpl 09-10-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noquacks (Post 1240397)
OK. Its a p trap. BUT, the drain system does not have a regular whatchamacallit- that long tube that goes through the roof, for venting. Vent pipe(?). It has a shortened version, that is under the sink, maybe thats where theyre crawling from. sewer, through that venting pipe, avoiding the p trap....

Can you post a pic of the "vent". I haven't seen the guts of an AAV but they are supposed to let air in not out. I suppose it's possible for the roaches to get out.

noquacks 09-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1240401)

american cockroach. I majored in Bio.

noquacks 09-11-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djlandkpl (Post 1240402)
Can you post a pic of the "vent". I haven't seen the guts of an AAV but they are supposed to let air in not out. I suppose it's possible for the roaches to get out.

Good point, dj. I didnt thin of that- air should go IN, not OUT when drain is "flushed" with water. Meaning, shouldnt that be a kind of check valve setup? Geez- could they NOT be coming out of there? Why do they concentrate in sink. Moisture, perhaps.....

Update: no roaches last night, but I did spray area with Demand CS. No dead ones either. Will watch it.

Thaks,People


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved