Termites, Should I Be Concerned? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ddawg16
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 07-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Termites, should I be concerned?

We went camping 12 days ago, in a forested area full of trees. Saw a few termite swarmers.

Fast forward to Wednesday night (2 days ago), my cat found a single winged termite within a couple feet of the front door. I have not seen any other termites since then. We are on a slab foundation, see no evidence of mud tunnels, no obvious external damage to wood, and didn't see anything in the attic that looked out of the norm.

Any suggestions on what actions to take next? I would rather avoid the nuclear option and bring in professionals, unless you guys think an inspection or whatnot is in order?

Thanks.

Advertisement

neird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Re: Termites, should I be concerned?

This forum won't let you edit posts?

Anyway, I forgot to add, I am hoping that the little bugger just flew in from the front door or hitched a ride in the camping gear from the trip a couple weeks ago. It did look pretty 'skinny' compared to photos I've seen online.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,132

I'm guessing you are in California?

There are 2 kinds of houses in California. Those with Termites and those that are going to get Termites.

I'd just pay attention. If you see any obvious signs....like sand in places you don't expect sand, you can do local treating. You can get the stuff at HD or Lowes

If your house has not been tented for more than 10 years, it might be time to do it again.
Bud9051 likes this.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 486

Like Ddawg said..........and look for mud tubes like these around the foundation.
Attached Images

dd57chevy likes this.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,474

I would doubt the termite your kitty found was from the camping trip 2 weeks ago, as the swarms are usually brief, wings drop, and they disappear within a day or so. The winged termite you found was from a recent swarm somewhere close. That doesn't mean it had to be your house, but very well could have been.

As ddawg said, now would be a good time to get at least the perimeter treated. But the pros may suggest drilling since it is a slab.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Went around the perimeter of the house, the attic, and baseboards and haven't seen any additional termites or signs of termites (sawdust/"sand", mud tubes, discarded wings etc.

Is perimeter treating something I can DIY? I called a local pest control place and they don't seem very concerned.

PS: I am in (Northern) Nevada not CA.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

Also (again how do I edit posts?!) I only found a single swarmer and I get the impression there would be tons. I don't even see any exit holes where he could have come from unless it just flew in.

And I would rather not tent my house (thousands of $) for one termite that may or may not even have come from nearby.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by neird View Post
Went around the perimeter of the house, the attic, and baseboards and haven't seen any additional termites or signs of termites (sawdust/"sand", mud tubes, discarded wings etc.

Is perimeter treating something I can DIY? I called a local pest control place and they don't seem very concerned.

PS: I am in (Northern) Nevada not CA.
Close enough....same termite issues we have. I doubt you will have to worry about mud tubes...we/you don't really have an issue with subterranean termites.

I'd keep an eye on things.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 486

You can install the traps from the big box stores.......they are placed in the ground with a screw on lid......but, if you don't get subterranean termites out there, well, it won't do much good.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gymschu; 07-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,474

Now, I only deal with the subterranean style termites but the swarming process for others is probably similar, same time every year. So mark next years calendar to be on the look out.

You saw one, but let's forget that one for a moment. Should you be concerned? Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes. Termites are almost everywhere and if we don't take steps to hold them off by the time we see their tunnels or any damage it is the proverbial tip of the iceberg. I have done considerable remodeling only to uncover huge amounts of termite damage that no one knew about.

You can check with your neighbors to see if they have had any problems or your state agriculture department and see what they say.

The one termite was a good event, it raised your awareness and can help you prevent an invasion. What action you take and when is to be decided. IMO, I would be reading up on DIY solutions at a minimum. Also, determine what type of termites are indigenous to your area and their habits.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
You can install the traps from the big box stores.......they are placed in the ground with a screw on lid......but, if you don't get subterranean termites out there, well, it won't do much good.
Thank you so much for this useful info!!
crocodiledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 318

[QUOTE=ddawg16;3403833]I'm guessing you are in California?

There are 2 kinds of houses in California. Those with Termites and those that are going to get Termites.

Hmmm, I thought those 2 kinds were only in Florida.......

Advertisement

papereater is offline   Reply With Quote