Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |

Termites in Chairs

We have a set of very expensive upholstered chairs that were infested with termites when they were built 15 years ago. We knew we had termites because about 6 years ago, the clear looking ones began to come out through the fabric and we could see droppings. Then one day they swarmed. Hundreds of them, dark with wings, came out of the chairs through several openings. Too say the least it was disgusting and we were horrified. I almost threw the chairs away, but I changed my mind, knowing we were gonna fumigate soon.

We were having our garage (a separate building) fumigated & tented with Vikane, so we put the chairs in the garage. They fumigated with plenty of gas and when they measured the next morning, the levels were high. We assumed the garage and chairs we’re termite free.

Now 4 years later, the garage seems termite free, we have been checking, but we have termites in at least one of the chairs still. I say still, because it’s not possible that it’s a new infestation. The chairs are upholstered 100%, there is no exposed wood. They just swarmed again for the first time in 4 years.

Our garage, is all open open wood, so I trust that the product did get to all the wood. But what about a house?

What’s going on here? Why did the gas fail on the chairs? We are going to have our house fumigated and I need to ask the question…..If the gas doesn’t permeate through the upholstery, how is it going to permeate through drywall? Our house is infested. We have areas with larvae droppings both inside and out. Should we trust the gas? We already have a lot of damage and I'm not sure if fumigating really works.

I also have another question. We have termite damage on the outside eaves of our 2 story house too. How does the gas get into these eaves when they put gas inside the house?

hillbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #2

Termites in Chairs

If your home is infested with dry woods now that is the probable source of the new infestation in the chairs
The fumigant used in tenting has no lasting residual effect
The termites could very well have gone through the fabric while causing only minute holes in unseen areas

It is possible that the exposed wood in the garage was treated with a boric acid compound like Borid or Timbor to prevent futue infestations, the chairs would not have been

And yes the fumigant will penetrate drywall it will penetrate most anything within the tenting material

The gas will go into the eaves through the attic
There is at least a four inch gap between the perimeter wall and the roof caused by the trusses
This opening gives direct access from the attic to the soffit and eaves

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Bug Expert

Termites in Chairs

Possibilty:The chairs could have an impenetrable membrane under the uphostery to prevent water invasion. This would prevent the fumigant from penetrating to the infested wood members. Check out drywood termites info @ the LINK REMOVED pest library.

Last edited by Termite; 12-14-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Advertising link removed
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote