Termite Control Products - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,648

Termite Control Products

Location is South Florida, warm and wet perfect for termites.

Had a underground drain leak...the kitchen drain is under the concrete slab, and the wood studed wall was severly damaged by subterrainean termites. Opened up the slab, and found the buried cast iron pipe (original construction 1955) corroded so badly the bottom basically disintegrated. I found sub termites in the soil, obviously very happy with the leaking drain and found the way up to the walls and beyond.

Now that the repipe is done and before I backfill and pour concrete I wanted to treat the soil through with a termiticide.

Looking at two products - Termidor SC, Taurus SC or Dominion SL seems to be sold in many DIY pest control stores. There is a big difference in prices. Any recommendation as to which one to go with? These are the active ingredients and their respective prices.

Diminion 2L - 27.5oz bottle $21 active ingredient Imidacloprid
Taurus SC - 20oz bottle $43 active ingredient Fipronil
Termidor SC - 20oz bottle $69 active ingredient Fipronil

Big price difference. Any thoughts? Are the more expensive products more effective and worth the additional cost?

Second question - I purchased a 20z bottle of a product for ant control five years ago called "Phantom". I have used it twice and the bottle is still 2/3 full. So when I needed to do the termite treatment I took out the bottom of Phantom because I remember it is also a termiticide. It's active ingredient is Chlorfenapyr. However I noticed the product is now "settled" into two layers - one layer of brown fluid on top and a layer of milky white fluid at the bottom. I called the company up and they said their products has a shelf life of 3-5 years the most so my product has expired. Now if it has expired what is the best way to dispose of this? This is concentrated stuff that you mix 1 gallon per 0.75oz and I have almost 15oz of it left. If it has expired and it's ineffective should I just dump all of it into the trench where the pipe is, then order new product to do the proper treatment over that?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Re: Termite Control Products

Imidocloprid is an effective pesticide, called "non-repellent", meaning id does not kill immediately. Ive used it. Digging a trench is usually required. Good value. Others not worth the extra $$$$.

Advertisement

papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Re: Termite Control Products

the extra price premium for termidor (vs taurus) is marketing hype, provided that the active ingredient is at the same %.
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote