Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sudden winged ants appearance

Been in this apartment for 3 years. This spring I had my first ant problem, found some wandering around the kitchen. They seemed to be originating from behind the stove or fridge. (They're right beside each other)

I put down some poison traps and scrubbed the whole kitchen down to clean up any crumbs and hopefully remove their trails.

However a day ago, out of nowhere (Seriously from 100% clear kitchen to sudden appearance within an hour or two of returning from work), I found a small bunch of flying ants laying dead in a pile right in front of the fridge. I want to estimate a dozen. There were a few more hopping around on the floor, appearing as though they were injured or dying, and a few more attracted to the fluorescent light above.

After killing every one I spotted I haven't seen one since, but I wanted to double check: did I stamp out the last ditch survival effort of a dying nest, or did I merely spot a symptom of a potentially major infestation?

Some more info. I live in Maryland, have no leaks that I know of, sink is on the other side of the kitchen (about 5-10 feet away from the front of the fridge/stove).

Kleptomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

You SURE they were ants and not termites?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

CALL THE LANDLORD. Get an exterminator out there pronto. If it's termites (more likely that 'flying ants') then there are SERIOUS risks to the building at stake here.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 508

termite workers in my oppion
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,000

Simple enought to figure out which one it is.
http://www.pestproducts.com/flyingants.htm#antvterm
Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

I've yet to find another one to examine closely unfortunately, but I'm going under the assumption that they were termites (better safe than sorry). Calling Landlord first thing tomorrow to get this all straightened out, especially as it's time for my lease renewal coincidentally.

Thank you all for your insight.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Simple enought to figure out which one it is.
http://www.pestproducts.com/flyingants.htm#antvterm
Found two more in a cobweb near the fridge (where I had found the others). Segmented unequal body, bent antennae. Black as midnight. Couldn't tell the wing lengths but it's good to know that it's proooobably not termites. Still, I'm bringing it up anyway since it sounds like there's a nest in the wall that's getting out through some opening.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 632

I just found a pile on the side garage door. Flying ants. Small waist not the thick body of termites. And yes the size of the double wings make a difference but I couldn't tell about the antenna. I had a can of Raid ant spray and haven't seen them since. I did put some Boric Acid down also.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptomaniac View Post
Still, I'm bringing it up anyway since it sounds like there's a nest in the wall that's getting out through some opening.
This is important, good to hear you're going to let the landlord know about it. Otherwise a problem like that can cause a lot of damage. Better to catch it as early as possible.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Carpenter ant swarm. Still need an exterminator because they don't eat wood like termites, but they still do a lot of damage over time.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Ants own the earth, we fool ourselves with paper and lawyers.

Winged termites occur at specific times of the year - like a 2 week window. Your locale dictates their annual schedule.

Winged ants are partly a factor of which ant, issues related to the specific area in question, and your own contributions to their world. Seeing winged ants only means a new queen is leaving the old nest and mating. It isn't common for baits to cause this.

Do you have pets? Dry pet food is a real attractant for ants. Is your apartment complex high rise?

Foraging ants are the old timers. Those are the ones you see, unless it is the winged ants. The foragers carry home the bait and provide it to the larvae who feed the whole colony. That is why ant baits work so well.

Seeing dead winged ants is not really a clue about the health of the colony. They die soon anyway and sometimes are killed after the mating ceremony.

gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gobug For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-25-2013)